Sleeping In Water

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
Some nights Shelly likes to nap in his water bowl with his head propped up on the side of it. I’ve also noticed when it’s empty he likes to sleep in it too, so I’ve figured it’s probably one of his favourite places. That said!!! Tonight I’ve gone to check on him an hour after turning out his lights as he was sitting in his water when I turned them off, and he was asleep with his ENTIRE HEAD under the water!!! I literally had to squint and look for a few seconds thinking I was looking at his tucked in tail but alas, it was his head!!! Grabbed him out of panic when I realised and he just kind of put his head up and took a couple of deep breaths.

I always assumed if he fell asleep and the worst came to the worst and he did dip his head under, he’d wake up… I guess not eh! Is this normal? I keep wondering how long he was under the water for, because he was in there for a good hour after I’d turned his lights out! Could he have held his breath for that long?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I couldn't tell you. He may have poked his nose out once in a while to get air. Maybe give him a dry bowl that matches his water bowl so he can sleep in one and have water in the other. You can always just empty the water dish each night. Usually once they are hunkered down for the night they wont wake for water.

ShellingtonTheFirst

London
I couldn't tell you. He may have poked his nose out once in a while to get air. Maybe give him a dry bowl that matches his water bowl so he can sleep in one and have water in the other. You can always just empty the water dish each night. Usually once they are hunkered down for the night they wont wake for water.
Maybe. All I know is that he near enough gave me a heart attack! Silly boy.