Sleeping Turtles in Pond

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Its been pretty difficult to get any pictures of the turtles in their new pond since I put them in in September. I finally went out the other day and noticed that all of their daily sleeping positions for brumination were out in the open. Usually I can find 1 or 2 of the 6 turtles if I spend 30 minutes or so looking for them, but I was able to get 5 of 6 in minutes!

There is one map turtle I didn't see and Granny (the razorback musk turtle) was visible by eye, but located such that I couldn't get a photo out of the glare.

They've been inactive and not eating since about mid October when it first got to nightly 50s or so.

Fatty was right underneath the window. She was so out in the open that I was surprised, but has been there for 2 days, sometimes 6" to one side or the other.

Fatty sleep.jpg

Both Fade and Grey Eyes (below) are near, but not under the large flagstone in the center of the pond about 4 feet deep and hanging out. I think most of the turtles spend most of their time here through the cold so far.

Fade Sleep.jpg

grey eyes sleep.jpg

Bane is just barely visible on the left side of the picture tucked in against the supports for the basking area. You can see their head poking out slightly on the bottom.
Granny was also here, just a bit out of frame to the top, but I couldn't get a picture because of the strong glare.

Bane sleep.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Awesome. Mine have been staying under the leaves, but if there's enough sun, they pop their heads up.