Sleepy Russian that refuses to eat

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443144845.812059.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443144882.312675.jpg
Here's examples of a temperature gun and a temperature and humidity gauge. There are others these are just examples that I have. I would definitely cover your enclosure. You can do it very easily and cheaply with PVC pipe and a clear heavyweight shower curtain. That will help you keep the heat and humidity in. Also instead of just Mistine the top of your substrate I would pour some water in and stir it around with your hands.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Is your wood waterproofed? If not you will get mold. You can line it with a pool liner or shower curtain. Otherwise you shouldn't get mold anywhere else. And Russian tortoises aren't as susceptible to shell rot as others. The top layer does not have to be damp but the bottom layers should be. But not soggy. Your tortoise will love to dig down and bury himself sometimes completely which will make you think he is gone :) my tortoise has done that to me more than once.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Julie :)

I am a new russian mom as well (arrived just Wednesday) and I completely understand how overwhelming this all is. I am not sure how old your baby is, so I am going to assume it is around the same age as mine, which is 3 months.

This care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ was probably the resource I used the most in setting up my current enclosure. From there, I pestered everyone with specific questions until I was comfortable with my choices.

I am in no way an experienced owner...in fact I think you have me beat in terms of ownership! ;) I did, however, just go through set up myself, so I figured I'd list it out. Take from it what you will :)

Temperature gun: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053Y6IPE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Humidity Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The temp gun is awesome for spot checking different parts of the enclosure, soaking water temps and just about everything else in your house lol. The humidity monitor is much easier to read than the dial one (which I also have) and seems more accurate.

Your table is so cute!! And it looks like you guys put a ton of time into it, I love all the personal details :) I believe, however, that because of the high humidity needs of babies, wood is something we have to look into later on. Large plastic tubs or aquarium tanks seem to be the norm.

I don't think this is the same tub I bought at Target, since I went into the store, but it is close: http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-u...-lid-116-qt/-/A-14757117#prodSlot=medium_1_29

The recommended substrate from the caresheet is coco coir: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010OSIHW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I used all 3 bricks in my tub. It is easy to rehydrate and ends up almost the consistency of wet potting soil. Not something you'd want in your wooden enclosure, but easy done in the tub :)

Here is a picture of my current enclosure, which is still very much a work in progress!

First Enclosure Attempt.jpg

By far the hardest part for me has been keeping the humidity up over 80% in my enclosure. I broke the lid of my tub trying to cut it, and ended up using plastic wrap around the edges to try and hold some of it in. I have spent most of the past two days hovering anxiously over my gauge, spray bottle in hand! I am headed to Home Depot tomorrow for plexi glass and will be trying my hand at fashioning a lid for the first time ever. If nothing else, these tortoises sure make us creative! :)

I also had a similar experience when I first joined the forum, but reminded myself that while my questions are very urgent and important to me, they most likely have been asked hundreds of times before. I spent some time working through old threads and was able to narrow my questions down in ways that received some excellent advice. :)

I know this post is painfully long, so I will end here!

Best of luck :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Sorry for a second reply -- do you put rocks in the water dish?

Also, I love the enclosure! I'm planning to finally try the coconut fiber this next season when I clean out Steve's substrate (while he hibernates). I have to pick some plants to add to his indoor enclosure too...

Julie Sanchez

Hi Julie :)

I am a new russian mom as well (arrived just Wednesday) and I completely understand how overwhelming this all is. I am not sure how old your baby is, so I am going to assume it is around the same age as mine, which is 3 months.

This care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ was probably the resource I used the most in setting up my current enclosure. From there, I pestered everyone with specific questions until I was comfortable with my choices.

I am in no way an experienced owner...in fact I think you have me beat in terms of ownership! ;) I did, however, just go through set up myself, so I figured I'd list it out. Take from it what you will :)

Temperature gun: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053Y6IPE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Humidity Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The temp gun is awesome for spot checking different parts of the enclosure, soaking water temps and just about everything else in your house lol. The humidity monitor is much easier to read than the dial one (which I also have) and seems more accurate.

Your table is so cute!! And it looks like you guys put a ton of time into it, I love all the personal details :) I believe, however, that because of the high humidity needs of babies, wood is something we have to look into later on. Large plastic tubs or aquarium tanks seem to be the norm.

I don't think this is the same tub I bought at Target, since I went into the store, but it is close: http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-u...-lid-116-qt/-/A-14757117#prodSlot=medium_1_29

The recommended substrate from the caresheet is coco coir: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010OSIHW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I used all 3 bricks in my tub. It is easy to rehydrate and ends up almost the consistency of wet potting soil. Not something you'd want in your wooden enclosure, but easy done in the tub :)

Here is a picture of my current enclosure, which is still very much a work in progress!

View attachment 149918

By far the hardest part for me has been keeping the humidity up over 80% in my enclosure. I broke the lid of my tub trying to cut it, and ended up using plastic wrap around the edges to try and hold some of it in. I have spent most of the past two days hovering anxiously over my gauge, spray bottle in hand! I am headed to Home Depot tomorrow for plexi glass and will be trying my hand at fashioning a lid for the first time ever. If nothing else, these tortoises sure make us creative! :)

I also had a similar experience when I first joined the forum, but reminded myself that while my questions are very urgent and important to me, they most likely have been asked hundreds of times before. I spent some time working through old threads and was able to narrow my questions down in ways that received some excellent advice. :)

I know this post is painfully long, so I will end here!

Best of luck :)
Thanks so much for such a thoughtful response! I really appreciate all your advice - experienced or not! I should be receiving my temperature gun today! I may need to rethink his enclosure with the plastic tub etc...Thanks again!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry for a second reply -- do you put rocks in the water dish?

Also, I love the enclosure! I'm planning to finally try the coconut fiber this next season when I clean out Steve's substrate (while he hibernates). I have to pick some plants to add to his indoor enclosure too...

Thank you so much! We have had such a good time putting it together :) I do have rocks in the water dish, and around it. That was suggested in the baby care sheet, to give them extra footing getting in and out. We took a trip down to the creek and went on a rock hunting trip to find flattish ones that would work well--a quick wash and boil and all set! The only part of the enclosure that was free LOL!

The plants are dandelion and chicory that we were able to find at our local co-op. Everything there is grown organically, so I know it's safe. It was recommended to just sink the pot in rather than try to plant them, so that was super easy. Now I want a bigger enclosure and more plants haha!

As for the temp gun, I can't swear by it's longevity, but I like it so far! I might be able to give a better review in a month, after constantly using it to find the temps in my enclosure....my coffee....the dog.... :D

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks so much for such a thoughtful response! I really appreciate all your advice - experienced or not! I should be receiving my temperature gun today! I may need to rethink his enclosure with the plastic tub etc...Thanks again!

You are welcome!! :) There is a learning curve with all this, and as first timers there is no way we are going to get it all right the first time. You already have the most expensive parts, so playing with a new tub enclosure should hopefully be inexpensive and fun :) I don't think we'll ever be finished creating new and improved homes for these little guys! And that said....Home Depot, here I come!

Cheers, and happy Friday :)

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA

One more picture to show for reference :) This is my tub at the recommended 80% humidity for hatchlings (actually I think this picture was reading a little below that, but it takes the meter some time to catch up). Before this, I had nooo idea what 80% humidity looked like, so I thought you might want to take a look! Spraying down the sides seems to help, but it doesn't last long. It is a constant struggle to keep it up, so hopefully the new lid will help...that, or I will wind up with spray bottle carpal tunnel! :D

The hatchling care sheet shows a larger hide with a direct piping of a humidifier into that one area. I've ordered a humidifier that is coming tomorrow, but as Tom said in another thread, it feels very much like I am "bailing out the boat instead of plugging the hole". (Loved that, lol) I am more crafty than handy, however...but also stubborn, so I'll figure it out somehow! o_O

As a side note, I tried covering more of the enclosure once the heat light had gone off for the night--the plastic is well away from any active heat source :)

*** The Tortoise Keeper....keeps your tortoise fresh for up to a week! ***

First Enclosure Attempt - Gah Humidity!.jpg

Julie Sanchez

Our little tort is finally eating!! The temp was the problem - and I am so thankful for the advice you all gave. I purchased a temp gun and it made all the difference. We also are able to keep the humidity up without covering the enclosure! THanks again! God used you all to answer our prayers and to revive our little guy!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Our little tort is finally eating!! The temp was the problem - and I am so thankful for the advice you all gave. I purchased a temp gun and it made all the difference. We also are able to keep the humidity up without covering the enclosure! THanks again! God used you all to answer our prayers and to revive our little guy!

YAY, JULIE!! That is such happy news!! :D

Best of luck to you and yours...and especially little Myrtle! :<3::<3: