Small torts on top soil and sand mix??

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi, I'm wondering if it is suitable for a below yearling tort to have topsoil sand mix substrate. I have a slate feeding area so she is less likely to eat some.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sand is not recommended even mixed in with other substrate. If eaten, it impacts in the gut. The risk of it being eaten accidentally, as it sticks easily to food, is high.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Fine grade orchid bark is widely recommended on TFO - not the coarse stuff. Or Coco Coir.

Both mix well with water so you can get all the substrate damp right to the bottom and into the corners.

Both are cheaper when bought from a garden centre or Amazon rather than a pet store. It seems to cost a lot of money to print a picture of a tortoise on a packet [emoji849]

Avoid anything that has additives such as fertilisers, perlite, vermiculite and water retention granules. Some brands of tortoise substrate even have calcium bits in them which is ridiculous; the last thing you want is your tort eating the substrate so avoid those too!

Reactions: Tom

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am not familiar with brands - Joe's an outdoor tort. If it is fine grade without additives it should be fine