Snake Plant Propogation

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
0717151415.jpg
Noticed yesterday our snake plant Solid Snake is growing a new shoot :D I'd love to propagate it, but it feels very firm and connected to the mother plant.
Do I just yank it out? :confused:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Reach down with a sharp knife between the new plantlet and the mother plant. It is attached by a firm piece of root-like material. There should be little rootlets starting to grow already.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Just let it grow . But take one of the big leaves and cut it into 3 inch sections plant each section but it's self about a 1/2 inch deep in 24 hours of waiting to let the sections to want water . And in about a month or two the sections will send up a runner just like your pict . They are very easy to proper gate .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They like to be pot bound & can get very large with all the new shoots. They also have the most delightfully scented and surprising flowers. When the plant gets too large you can slice through the roots and repot the sections.

When a blade/stalk is damaged at the tip, it will stop growing. Those damaged pieces are great candidates for propagation. I root mine in water & plant them in finished compost. Slicing them into smaller pieces & rooting in sand is another option. I wouldn't separate new growth until/unless the plant is huge & you need to limit its growth.

All of my snake plants are scions of the plant my mother was given after surgery 50 years ago.