snap sound???

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago subs
I finally found and received a pair of T.ibera from California. My daughter named the male Giddy. He does not eat as well as the female, Mala. One thing I noticed. Since we had them , Whenever I can get him to eat, he makes a snap sound while biting. This happens whether he bites food or misses the food. Might this be his reluctance to eat as aggressively as the female. They are both roughly 2-2/2" long, both near 1.8oz. Cute as buttons.
Any input on this snap sound from the males jaws, and does it go away? I could not tell if the upper jaw catches the lower, or if it is from the jaw joint.
Thanks for any information.
Stanley

Attachments

• MALA21.JPG
    MALA21.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 22
  • GIDDY18.JPG
    GIDDY18.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 24

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Us boys can be shy.

The only reptile I ever heard of that has an underbite is Barney.

Can we see a close up of his mandibles? The snap sound is when he misses the food or does not get a mouthful.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, as adorable as he is, he will probably be able to get a date in spite of that embarassing noise he emits while eating.;)

Someone else on here had the same problem with their tort, and I seem to remember that our resident experts decided it was probably not going to cause any serious trouble. Obviously someone will have to come along and confirm my "memory".:p

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its normal. My girls both do it. Sometimes it sounds like a "grinding" noise as well. Its the sound their beaks make when the top scrapes over the bottom. Think of the snap when he misses kind of the way your teeth would sound if you tried to bite something, and suddenly it wasn't there! :D If you feed on a slate tile, or other textured, hard surface, his beak will stay worn down and it won't become a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.