Snapping Turtle Found

AKREPTILE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Juneau. Alaska
This happened a few years ago. I live in Juneau, Southeast Alaska. Hardly a place for turtles. Someone was driving out the highway and happened to see a turtle walking across the pavement. They stopped and it turned out to be a Common Snapping Turtle. I believe it was the size of a salad plate. I don't know if the individual still has it or not. It just shows how stupid people can be. We and Hawaii are the only states that do not have native tortoises or terrestrial turtles. I need to say Hawaii does have one fresh-water turtle its a species of Soft Shell turtle introduced from Asia years ago. Hawaii has various species of sea turtle and Alaska has had sighting of sea turtles at times in the past.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the turtle escaped rather than he released it. Snappers are pretty good climbers. It's a stroke of good luck for the turtle that it was found by someone who knew he didn't belong there. Too bad you don't have a picture of it for us. I love snappers.