Social grouping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
GeoTerraTestudo said:
If I'm not mistaken, Terry O here on TFO keeps a redfoot with box turtles, and I think she has observed a similar phenomenon, with the redfoot hanging around the boxies as though it just wants to socialize with them. Did I get that right, Terry?

Here's a thread I started last year to show a YouTube video of a little box turtle chasing a larger redfoot tortoise. The video has since been taken down, though:
"Video of box turtle harassing redfoot tortoise"

I raised my Cherry Head with a Three Toed for a few years, since they were both a month old. After I separated them, the CH stopped eating for days and paced the enclosure, finally going into her hide and not coming out at all. After I put them back together, the CH was fine and went back to normal. Pio is 5 years old and she lives, when outside, with Solo (CH) who is 2. I don't think I've ever seen one without the other sitting together, eating together, and if one goes in the pond the other follows. These are my only two tortoises, and I know nothing about any other kind, but, IMO I do think that CH's are very social, and seem to appreciate each others company.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
This is a good thread. I like reading everyone's opinions about the sociability of tortoises. I have box turtles who sometimes favor each other's presence but mostly like to be alone. My tortoises do seem to prefer to be with each other but not always. It always seems like one is the odd man out in the group of three. I don't know what that means but I think some tortoises might prefer the company of others and some don't.

imranuddin93

5 Year Member
so question, how much space would be needed per cherryheads/red footed tortoises per adult if you plan on keeping more than 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.