Soft Shell

Kelsey Shirley

My hatchlings are about 5 weeks now and their shells are still soft. Is this normal? How long does it typically take t nice and hard? (Desert Tortoises)

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
What kind of setup do you have them in? What kind of substrate? What temperature is it? Do you provide them water in their setup? What do you feed them? Do you provide UVB light? Other much more knowledgeable members will be asking these questions in helping you out with your tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How soft are they. My leopard came to me at about 6-8 weeks and his plastron (bottom shell) was what I would call pliable. Could be pushed in slightly.
@Yvonne G might have more info for your species

Kelsey Shirley

They aren't super mushy or anything. I didn't even notice until I started reading forums and learned that soft shell was even a thing. with a little squeeze there is a little give both on the bottom and the top.

Their setup is made with wood. We built it ourselves and it is about 3x4. They have an upside down box for shelter and this little patch of fake grass that was put on our porch as a sample from a grass company that they absolutely love to go under. My kids thought it would be perfect for their house and I thought they were silly but I obliged and it turns out it is their favorite spot! :) We have both UVA and UVB lights turned on when the sun rises and off when it sets. We only had UVa for about 2 weeks as the lady we got them from said they didn't need UVB. But they did receive natural sunlight on and off through out the day most days during that time. They have fresh water in their house at all times and we soak them probably 5 days a week. I feed them different veggies extra chopped. every once in a while I will add a smidgen of fruit. (Kale, swiss chard, beet leaves, dandelion, and mustard greens are the types of foods I have bought for them) they also graze in the grass in the sun for about a half hour a day. they love the weed (spurge) that grows in our grass. They also have had rose and hibiscus flowers.

Hot part is about 110degrees
cool spot is about 75 degrees