Soon to be new owner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpacc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Idaho
Hello,
I am going to be getting a Box turtle soon, any immediate recommendations as to how I should get him from late fall/winter through spring? Should I put him out to hibernate now or do that manually with a tank? I am planning to build an outdoor enclosure shortly.

I am doing my homework with diet and enclosure, I haven't found too much on burmation and transportation.

Any advice helps,
Thanks!!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Do research and keep learning, spring time rolls around its a perfect te to buy. Winter time can be a little cold, also with box turtles I found winter time to be hard because of heaters in the house dry out the air and it makes it difficult to keep humidity up, it can be done and it is done by many keepers, but for someone just gettin one winter time I would avoid spring summer time.

Another good tip, research till you think you know everything then research more, have everything set up ready to go by spring, get your humidity stable temps good to go, so when you do get one its a easy on you and your turtle. Less stress = happy face

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
If you are just going to be getting the turtle i wouldn't try to hibernate it in the first year . I would wait to make sure it is checked by a vet and eating properly. For transportation you can buy a throw away cooler from Walmart for $2 and use that so the wind does not get to the turtle. Once u get in the warm car then you can open the lid ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good suggestion about transport. You can put some shredded paper in the cooler, even small heat pack (I put them on one side of the bottom under a layer of newspaper, then shred some on top).

Keep an eye out for the Xmas tree storage boxes, by the end of December and early January, they will go on sale at places like Walmart.
http://www.irisusainc.com/p-680-ve-175w.aspx

You can overwinter this year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi mpacc, and welcome to the Forum!!

Are you having the turtle shipped to you, or are you driving to pick it up?

Box turtles are pretty territorial, and it's quite stressful on them to have to get used to a new territory. For this reason, and because it's so close to winter, it would be best for you to set the turtle up inside for this winter.

I have one that I just took in as a rescue a couple weeks ago and haven't been able to find a home for yet, and he's in a 4'x4' habitat on the car port. There's a light in there for daytime, and a black light that I turn on at night when I turn off the day light. I have cypress mulch on the floor with a waterer that he can climb into.

Box turtle get quite tame and after living indoors with you this winter, your little buddy will be ready to be an outdoor turtle in the spring. This gives you plenty of time to make him a nice outdoor habitat.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
lynnedit said:
Good suggestion about transport. You can put some shredded paper in the cooler, even small heat pack (I put them on one side of the bottom under a layer of newspaper, then shred some on top).

Keep an eye out for the Xmas tree storage boxes, by the end of December and early January, they will go on sale at places like Walmart.
http://www.irisusainc.com/p-680-ve-175w.aspx

You can overwinter this year.

I don't think they sell those Christmas tree storage boxes anymore. I looked for the past two Christmases and nothing. Ever since they came out with those Christmas tree storage bags I can't find the boxes. If I'm wrong and someone finds them, please let me know!!

mpacc

5 Year Member
SW Idaho
Thanks for the reply's!

He is being shipped to me very soon, I have a garage to I will set him up with some light/UVB, water and heat. I will plan Keep him out of burmation. Cypress bark and anything else for substrate? I will use a large tupperware bin.

The container wont be the most luxurious for winter time, but the spring outdoor pen will be ample as I am bit of a greenthumb.

I am new to Turtles, I had a few as a kid for short periods but always let them back into the wild. I can get to be a kid again with my daughter!!!! I am making a little interactive garden for her** and I get a box turtle or two!!!!

I have always loved box turtles and tortoises. I was a longtime red-tail boa owner and fish tank enthusiast in my teens and twenties.

Keep any tips coming, I love the enthusiasm and support here. Forums are great.

Thanks Guys!!

mpacc

5 Year Member
SW Idaho
Indoor/Outdoor set up....Advice

Hello,

I just aquired 3 EBTs and need some pointers. I have done some research and nailed down diet/heat/light/humidity....

For first winter inside.....Enclosure question.

What enclosure size? 55 gal rubbermaid for all 3?! seems small for 3.

I plan to winter them inside this year, and plan to put them outside come spring. Outdoor pen will be 5 x 12 feet.

I live in SW idaho, we have pretty mild seasons, Hot summers, Cool winters, not much snow and high desert up from the valley, but our river valley is microclimate with better humidity.

Am I okay thinking I can house them outside for the summer? Is Hibernation a possibility outdoors here?
Frost depth for our county is 24".

I would have to water extra in the summer to keep humidity up, sprinklers are on a timer.

Advice would be great. I know a little about reptiles(snakes, I had a RTboa for many years and two tree boas)

Turtles are my new journey!!

Status
Not open for further replies.