Species confusion? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BH-Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,
Sorry I am posting so many question but I am delighted to be getting so much help :)

So, I thought greek totoises were a single species however I have realized there are many Testudo species and I am now confused. Here is a link to my other thread were I posted my general information on the enclosure etc. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Looking-for-all-general-info-on-Greek-tortoises-D#axzz1D0k0fhf9

Here is a website I have been looking at for information and I am just wondering which tortoises off this list are suitable for my set-up? http://www.tortoisecentre.co.uk/price list.htm

Thanks for your time,
Ben :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hi Ben,

"Greek" tortoises are so named, not necessarily because of their geographical origin, but because when first described their shells reminded the person describing them as resembling Greek mosaic tile. There are three basic accepted localities of "Greek" tortoises. Northern Mediterraneans which are comprised of Testudo "gracea" ibera, Middle Easterns which, depending upon which researcher you want to believe, consists of anywhere from about 5-15 subspecies and even a few seperate species. The last, less common in captivity, at least here in the U.S. are the North African "Greeks" which again are comprised of as many as a half dozen or so claimed subspecies and/or a couple of seperate species.

Although it all may sound confusing, when speaking of their care in captivity it really isn't too bad. Generally speaking (without writing a full article here), Northern Mediterranean and Middle Eastern origin "Greeks" can be kept very similar. The outstanding difference is that most Middle Easterns aren't as cold hardy as are the more northern origin Ibera. Tortoises from both areas do very well in captivity given a few critical environmental needs. Many of the North African subspecies sometimes require more specific care, based on the microclimate that they would inhabit in the wild. Some people have had good sucess with them, others have had poor results maintaining them for long periods in captivity. Much of people's sucess (or failure) with any of the above Greeks can be attributed to how closely the tortoise's environmental requirements are met long term in captivity. It's beneficial to find out as much as possible about the tortoise's wild environment. That entire environment cannot be duplicated in captivity, but certain key elements can and need to be.

I've kept Northern Mediterranean species, including Ibera, sucessfully for a couple of decades. I can give some insight to them and their requirements. I have kept Middle Easterns sucessfully on and off for periods, they're just not "my thing" generally speaking. But I can give a little insight to them. I have not kept or seen a North African Testudo in many years and really never had very much sucess with them when I did have them. They simply did not do well in my environment and with my husbandry methods so I'd be no help at all with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.