Species help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyKay

5 Year Member
I replied to an advert on Gumtree entitled 'adult hermann tortoise' the seller proceeded to send me the attached pics. Stating it was a 3 year old female hermann.. This tortoise looks bigger than my oldest female hermann who is 7. Seller doesn't have cites or any documentation with the tortoise. After a few texts he said his friend has told him the tortoise is a 5 year old African spur thighed. Again it doesn't look anything like any of my sulcatas. Have a feeling it's Mediterranean of some sort but not sure at all.
Any one any ideas?
It's been fed carrots, peas, cauliflower and is currently being kept in a 3ft viv. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364736255.119038.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364736270.847795.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It does look like a Greek to me (called a spur thigh without the "African"), but I'm not really that familiar with the Mediterranean species of tortoise.

KittyKay

5 Year Member
I was thinking maybe he got mixed up and meant a med spur thighed not African but still unsure about the size/age. Definitely older than 3! :S

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm going to say this is a Greek Ibera female. I have one about this size. Pretty!

KittyKay

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I'm going to say this is a Greek Ibera female. I have one about this size. Pretty!

Thanks! What age is your female?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your tortoise is definitely an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. It should be much more green leafy based which should comprise of about 85% of it's diet. The rest can be a variety of vegetables.

KittyKay

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Your tortoise is definitely an Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera. It should be much more green leafy based which should comprise of about 85% of it's diet. The rest can be a variety of vegetables.

Thanks! I know, I don't know what else this guy has been feeding the poor tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.