Species ID please

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
All,
Can someone ID this turtle for me? I'm not very versed in water turtles and have been asked to help another rescue out. Figured I needed to know what I was dealing with prior to being any help!
turtle 1.JPG turtle 2.JPG turtle 3.JPG

Thanks in advance!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Maybe @ diamondbp can help . Or @ Yvonne. In identifying this type of turtle. If i guessed and i have no clue id say its some type of mud turtle. But thats just a guess. Good luck.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Whew, he's got some poof pockets!
The shell just doesn't look right to be a mud turtle, I don't think it's domed enough. Maybe @Anthony P has something :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I couldn't see if the head pulls in to the side, but I was going to guess that too, Art.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I couldn't see if the head pulls in to the side, but I was going to guess that too, Art.

I was able to verify the neck/head folds vs. going direct into the shell. Sorry I'm not able to get better pictures at this time. Still the same thought or am I looking at a different species?

Thanks for the input!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I was going to suggest an African Mud turtle of some type. I'm not an expert on the African species but it surely looks like an eastern African mud turtle

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Pelusios are probably my biggest area of ignorance with IDing turtles. If I want to make excuses for myself, haha, this is probably due to the fact that Pelusios were recently broken into so many different taxon, based mostly on genetics, not morphology. That makes it very difficult to make a call like this, especially on a large, older adult turtle, who may have had shell discoloration over the years.

All of that being said, I think the safer bet is one of the more commonly imported species, like Pelusios castaneus, the West African Mud Turtle.

Either way, it is 100% Peluisios, so it is an African Mud Turtle, and should be treated as any other Pelusios would, husbandry-wise.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you everyone for your imput! I really appreciate it. I'll be picking up the turtle this weekend because I'm better equipped to house him temporarily than where he is now.

If anyone could direct me to a good care sheet I would appreciate it! I have the basics but the more info the better!

Additionally, if anyone is interested in him I will be placing him up for adoption when he's ready. If you are interested let me know and I'll put you on the 'first call' list.

Thanks again!