[split] from the Pyramiding thread...Venus

Status
Not open for further replies.

reighneyday

5 Year Member
Venus is doing well.
IMG_2431.JPG
Of course, I can't get in contact with the guy I bought her from... So I'm still not sure exactly how old she is (just going to refer to her as she until I find out). I'm guessing she is in between 60-90 days, weighs 52 grams now and has gained 20 grams in the 45 days that I've had her. She is an eating and pooping machine. Just purchased the mazuri tortoise diet. Her favorites are hibiscus flowers, green leaf lettuce, clover and clover flowers. She won't touch the timothy hay and she'll only eat a couple of the varieties of grass I have in the yard. Need to do more research on the types of grass I have. I bought some generic carrot all natural baby food for vitamin A. I pour that on the greens once in a while and she loves it. She's not on the same weight pace as Tom's are, but she's not too far behind.

Have her in a 3'x4' cage I built out of wood with plexiglass sides. Had to tape around the bottom couple inches because she kept head butting it which solved that immediately. Also had to divide the corners into two 45 degree angles because she kept flipping herself over. Couldn't take watching her struggle, so I'd immediately flip her over. Finally saw her right herself the other day on the strategically placed rocks, I put around the corners and by her log. That was a huge relief.

I haven't been able to keep the humidity up to 80%... But I'm making the necessary changes to get it higher. 65% in the hide and 40-55% in the rest of the cage. She's so comfortable with me handling her or messing with her cage. She loves the misting too. I don't know how intelligent they are but as soon as she sees the water bottle, she sticks her arms, legs and head as far out as she can. When I stop she looks at me like, "come on man, i was enjoying that." haha

Just started a new job and I'm buying a house. Can't wait to get her set up in a room. I'll keep posting pics throughout the months/years. Thanks again for all the contributors to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

reighneyday

5 Year Member
RE: The End Of Pyramiding

hey everyone Venus is doing great. Gaining weight like crazy. Already up to 65 grams. Averaging around 3 grams of weight gain per week. I've been feeding her green leaf lettuce, romaine, clover and clover flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, timothy hay, a few of the grass types from my yard and the Mazuri pellets a couple times a week.

2 issues so far:

1) There is some slight discoloration around the mouth. It's green and I would compare it to a toddler with spaghetti sauce around its mouth. I keep her back end and shell cleaned with baths every other day but she won't let me clean her cheeks. Pulls the head in and I'm not going to force the issue. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2) I've noticed the white discharge randomly since I've had her. (urates? I think) Normally, I would see it once a week but this past week it has been everyday. That discharge is associated with how their bodies process protein, correct? Is it a problem and if so, what can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Reighney

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Urates are a combination of excess uric acid, minerals, and other waste products that the kidneys have filtered out, not sure if this has anything to do with protein.

M

Maggie Cummings

The green mouth is stain from her food. Grass does it, lettuce is another culprit. You won't get a young tortoise to eat hay. When she's a yearling try grass hay is softer and they usually like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.