Sleepy tortoise Q-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
The other day I took Frank outside when it was sunny and the temp was 63. She wandered around and ate the usual grass and clover that she always does. I did catch her trying to devour one of her old turds I had thrown out, but I snatched it from her before he got any down. As soon as I brought her in and put her back in her table, she went right into her hide and hasn't come out on her own for 3 days. Every time I bring her out she there for a minute then heads right back in, without even eating the fresh dandelion flowers I picked. Right now she's taking a long, warm soak. All her temps and humidity are the same as usual. Do sulcatas do this sometime do this sometime or should I be alarmed? Because I'm very worried! I'd like to hear the forum's advice before I take her to the vet. Thanks:)

I did put some dandelion flowers floating in her soak and she ate every one.
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365018961.285797.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365018998.522211.jpg
Besides being able to go outside, these are Frank's favorite part of warm weather!
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365019017.072869.jpg
I'm also sure that none of the flowers had weed killer put on them.

Well, after the soak she spent about 5 minutes under the heat lamp, then right back to bed. My fiancé says she's just upset because she wants to go outside and I teased her the other day (it still isn't warm everyday yet). I think that sounds a little ridiculous, but plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking tort. I can't really answer your question. Just wanted to let you know that I have read this kind of thing before, so it is a little common, I just don't know,why.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Theory could be that your little tort has experienced the big world with yummy stuff growing as far as the eye can see....birds singing, frogs frogging....sun rays caressing his head....then swoooop, the giant mystery thing picks you up, carries you back to the place that is indoors and now...tort depression sets in....aka; the tort wants to be back outside is likely it....

More outdoor time, less indoor time=happy tort ;)

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Thanks for the relies! I think he was right, also. Frank did come out on her own today and is eating so I'm assuming that she was experiencing some tort depression. It typical Virginia style, the temps are back in the low 40's so she'll just have to wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.