[split] Hello! Question about Russian tortoise

tortoisehappy

I have a Russian desert tortoise named Boriis and when I come in he is usually basking or eating. I have a ten gallon tank for him but when I had just got him he would bang against the side of the tank. Now a couple months later he is doing it again and I'm worried. Any advice?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "tortoise happy":

Welcome to the Forum!!

I love your username. I think if any of us were to examine our innermost feelings, we would all say we totally agree with that line of thinking!!!

A Russian tortoise needs a much bigger space than a 10 gallon aquarium. You might get away with keeping a brand new baby in that size tank, but a full grown Russian? No way! In the real world, russian tortoises wander many miles in their daily search for food. They are hard-wired to wander. When locked up in a tiny space they get stressed out and they bang on the walls, or dig in the corners or just sit and mope.

You can buy a really large plastic tub for a pretty cheap price. Right now the Christmas Tree Storage bins made by Iris are for sale online and sometimes you can find them at K-Mart or Walmart.

Here is a pretty good care sheet for Russian tortoises:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm