spring mix question

phebe121

The spring mix says it had lettuce in it and i know leopards arnt soppost to have that what else is good i have grass and dandelion growing in the house spider plant and wandering jew also growing on the house im just asking cuz winter is fast approaching and i want them to be happy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Lettuce is fine as part of a varied diet. The problem with lettuce, and spring mix too, is that its too low in fiber and calcium. It does not simulate the weeds and things that they really should be eating. One solution is to amend the grocery store foods with blended grass hay,"herbal hay", and increased calcium supplementation. Another solution is to grow more of your own foods indoor for winter.

phebe121

Well i have alot of food already growing indoors for them the lettuce wont make parasites i know i worrie to much about this

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well i have alot of food already growing indoors for them the lettuce wont make parasites i know i worrie to much about this
Far as I know - the lettuce will not cause / make parasites. Many folks feed spring mix to babies. Just not fruit for leopards.
I bought a bag of the" Herbal Hay"Tom mentioned from Tortoise Supply. I sprinkle it on top of the spring mix and... Whatayaknow... They eat it too :).

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Is there very many weeds growing in your area? There is a lot of free food around. But you have to make sure it's safe and if it's been treated at all.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Pesticide -free weeds and grass are the best diet a leopard can have, really. Do you know everyhting that grows in your yard?
To an optimistic tort, a yard with lots of variety is the best food dish ever.

phebe121

There some stuff i dont know what it is
So i just keep them away when there out there but everyday they get weeds and i have the growing inside to