Spring Mix?

Jorge_Alvarez

So im looking for the first time on the fourm, and I have a sulcata tortoise. I have MANY questions, but I will first start with this one. What is spring mix? My turtle doesnt have too good of a diet, and I need to know what to feed it. I have seen alot of people use spring mix, but I need to know what else to get. Maybe of list of thing to feed them? Thanks!

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So im looking for the first time on the fourm, and I have a sulcata tortoise. I have MANY questions, but I will first start with this one. What is spring mix? My turtle doesnt have too good of a diet, and I need to know what to feed it. I have seen alot of people use spring mix, but I need to know what else to get. Maybe of list of thing to feed them? Thanks!
Spring mix is a bag of salad mix you can buy at the grocery store but your sulcata is a grass land tort do the main staple of his diet should be grass me weeds from your yard. Why buy grocery foods when you can get it free from your yard.

Jorge_Alvarez

So wait, I dont know if the weeds and grass are good because I know my gardener sprays it with chemicals every once in a while :/ I dont know the last time he did this, but im not sure if it would be safe.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you don't know then it's not safe to feed but grass and weeds are what it should be eating.

WallieWay

PA
I'm not sure if you have a farmer's market around you, but if you do...check them out! The one by me has great prices and is fresher than my local food store, which is great because there is currently no growth outside where I live!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. You'll get the help you need so don't worry. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jorge:

Please try to give your sulcata a nice variety. The list Grandpa Turtle showed you gives you plenty to choose from, so don't just choose one or two. Feed him a couple things from the list this week, then next week choose a couple different things, etc. Mix it up and give him a nice variety.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Jorge and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your sulcata.
Got lots of good information already, so I'll just pop along to your other thread.