Springtails

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I have about half a tub of springtails left from the bioactive vivarium for my crested gecko. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to add them to my tortoise enclosure. I removed the pots from the spider plants and planted them straight to the substrate. I'm using cococoir and sterilised topsoil. i've been using this mix to grow tortoise food and I've had really good results. Do you think the springtails will do any harm to the enclosure? or my tortoise?

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Will I still need to change the substrate?
not sure about gekos; but I always go with not mixing substrate from one species to another. No idea what other micro organisms you might pass on. Just add springtails....and yes eventually you should change substrate of tortoise even with bio cleaners like pill bugs and springtails; just not as often.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
not sure about gekos; but I always go with not mixing substrate from one species to another. No idea what other micro organisms you might pass on. Just add springtails....and yes eventually you should change substrate of tortoise even with bio cleaners like pill bugs and springtails; just not as often.
I'm being careful to not cross contaminate. I'm using 3 different disinfectants lol. I just have like a huge box and there is just so many. My cresties enclosure is 12x12x18 because he is just a baby.