Squirt’s upgrade

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Ok so the temps are SO much better with all three bulbs running! Theres literally the smallest strip that is in the 70s by the glass one end, but virtually the entire viv is reading 80-86 on the temp gun, even inside the hides is 78-80!😁that hot spot has disappeared completely so im thinking we have the probe in a better position than before, glad thats no longer an issue😊
I’m going to do my best to convince him to just let all the bulbs run 24/7 instead of that 150 going off, it seems so pointless with how good the temps are now, that 150 is clearly helping heat along the run of the glass, if he really won’t budge on it tho, ill suggest, at the very least to run it during the colder weather, I reckon I might be able to talk him round.. considering how everything else I’ve researched and set up has paid off like a dream and allowed the build to go pretty smoothly, we’ll see.
If he doesn’t tonight I’ll monitor her again and see where she falls asleep

Not great about the water situation but it has finally stopped, I’m thinking its cause with the new damp substrate the humidity is currently whacked into the 90’s, perhaps once it settles and we continue to maintain it more into the 80’s it won’t be as much of an issue

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh and the snake is loving it! Being on top of squirts new viv has upped her temps, we’ll have to adjust her thermostat slightly when he’s back from work to accommodate, but she’s getting some mild belly heat which they absolutely love!
She passed a big lump of calcium the other day and the lump on her got smaller! So we’re convinced she’s had some calcium build up, she’s much more active and getting pretty damn sassy so we’re thinking she’ll finally eat for us, so yeah happier update there too😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh ok thanks for the tip, I’ll have a look, I’d say it’s about half a ft in the 70’s along the glass, with the 150 on I’d say the strip is less and the whole viv seems to be a nice level so far during the day(150 been on about 3 and a half hrs now) and there isn’t currently a hot spot under the 150 anymore, it reads 87 directly underneath now so that’s good, I’m thinking maybe during colder spells he may need to keep that 150 over night as well, I’ll watch her again tonight when that 150 is off, if she settles in an 80 spot again, I’ll know she’s doing what she needs to do and seeking out the best place to sleep I guess. The levels aren’t super dangerous, I just really hoped to reach 80’s all round 24/7🫤

Another thing of slight concern is some of the condensate from the glass is somehow dripping out of both sides on the bottom at the front, it couldn’t be sealed any better from inside, I think what’s happening is the water is gather in the runner that the glass sits in and is dripping down out the front.. idk what to suggest to combat that issue, even sealing the outside could cause that moisture to get trapped😣
Yes, most likely it drips out of runners. With a single glass this will happen, especially on colder weather. You can make a "collection tray" on the sides of the runners, just lift up the viv a little bit (with thin wooden planks, for example).
Other options are: keep glass warm (150W CHE seems to do the job), keep room warm, add blackout curtains for the night time (good idea anyway if the viv is in the room), think about double glazed front door (could be done with a hinged plexiglass sheet, perhaps).

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh and the snake is loving it! Being on top of squirts new viv has upped her temps, we’ll have to adjust her thermostat slightly when he’s back from work to accommodate, but she’s getting some mild belly heat which they absolutely love!
She passed a big lump of calcium the other day and the lump on her got smaller! So we’re convinced she’s had some calcium build up, she’s much more active and getting pretty damn sassy so we’re thinking she’ll finally eat for us, so yeah happier update there too😊
Great! Everyone has benefits from Squirt's new enclosure! (photos... photos....)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes, most likely it drips out of runners. With a single glass this will happen, especially on colder weather. You can make a "collection tray" on the sides of the runners, just lift up the viv a little bit (with thin wooden planks, for example).
Other options are: keep glass warm (150W CHE seems to do the job), keep room warm, add blackout curtains for the night time (good idea anyway if the viv is in the room), think about double glazed front door (could be done with a hinged plexiglass sheet, perhaps).
Yeah I think that’s what was happening, might pop a tray down like you say, try and protect the carpet when it happens, we have some thick curtain material at the ready to make her some as I’ve said to them I think the tv light has probably annoyed her for a while, may as well improve things all round for her🥰

Oooo I wonder if they’ll actually help keep the heat in glass side??

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Finally presenting squirts new home!! Sorry they aren’t the best pics in the world😂it’s so hard getting a good angle to get it all in! I’d take one from outside but the glass is so steamed atm you can’t see anything🥲
I feel like the prospective doesn’t represent the size very well, though I know it’s still less than ideal, the size difference from her old one is unreal!! She’s absolutely loving it! Thought maybe she’d be a bit nervous for a few days and tuck away, but nope not our girl! She’s bright and active, exploring every bit of it!🥰

I just want to take this moment to express my gratitude to each and every person who has helped and followed along on this journey!
I’ll be here for many years to come! So glad I found this wonderful community, can’t believe we’ve finally reached the goal❤️

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0490.jpeg
    IMG_0490.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yeah I think that’s what was happening, might pop a tray down like you say, try and protect the carpet when it happens, we have some thick curtain material at the ready to make her some as I’ve said to them I think the tv light has probably annoyed her for a while, may as well improve things all round for her🥰

Oooo I wonder if they’ll actually help keep the heat in glass side??
A thick blackout curtain - helps. I close my vivarium with it in the evening. Almost none condensate when I remove it in the morning. It builds up again through the day, though.

An easy way to attach a curtain or plexiglass "double glaze" is with magnets.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It looks great! She definitely has space to roam now and looks happy!

Just a quick suggestion - a large terracotta saucer instead of that water dish. She will appreciate it.

And plants, plants, plants! Carex, pothos, ferns, prayer plants...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It looks great! She definitely has space to roam now and looks happy!

Just a quick suggestion - a large terracotta saucer instead of that water dish. She will appreciate it.

And plants, plants, plants! Carex, pothos, ferns, prayer plants...
There’s a terracotta in there also, that corner dish was just so she has access to two water spots😊I’d like a bigger terracotta though, they only had a smaller size in store, will keep an eye out, and yes for sure want to add plants! I’ve had to bare in mind they’re both useless keeping plants alive and so wanted to make sure I was providing enough shade with the hides, but all in good time I’ll start playing about with the landscape, I’d like to break up her eyeline more with some plants ideally😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Looks like I may be able to convince him to let the 3 bulbs run 24/7, so I’ve done ahead and turned the 150 thermo down from 84 to 80, to hopefully achieve a constant 80-84 range instead of some spots being 86-88, I’ll monitor the next few hours, and if I’m happier with those temps I’ll go ahead and take the 150 out of the timer and plug it into the mains.
My question is, if I can’t avoid the bulbs reading around 88 directly underneath, is that safe during the night in the event she falls asleep under one, or is that too warm? Should I maybe stick to last nights temps with the hopes that some thick curtains will help maintain the glass side?🫤
Ugh also the UV hasn’t gone off like it’s supposed to, I set it to be on from 12 till about half 4, I hadn’t switched the switch on the lead on though, so switched it at 1, but that shouldn’t have effected when it’s meant to go off, it’s currently half 5 and still on, looks like I need to get round the back and see what’s going on there, I’m sure I set it properly though, the lights came on the right time and well see when they go off and if this uv goes off too🫤

It’s just some tweaks now I think, we’re pretty much there, I just want to know she’s set before I head back this weekend ideally

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If temperature gun reads 88 on substrate, top of her shell will get hotter than that. While it's not a grave danger, this can be desiccating for her shell. Some obstacle like a water dish may solve the issue. And she'll get a warm bath tub as a bonus.

Small tweaks after setting up new enclosure are fine. When I've put thermostat behind the smart socket that night I've discovered that it was being shut off by "Lights off, go to bed" automation routine at 11PM. Luckily, I've got an alert from the temperature sensor.

And no serious issues so far, she is settling really well - you did a great job!

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If temperature gun reads 88 on substrate, top of her shell will get hotter than that. While it's not a grave danger, this can be desiccating for her shell. Some obstacle like a water dish may solve the issue. And she'll get a warm bath tub as a bonus.
I wouldn’t want her possibly falling asleep in her water dish though🫤from watching her today, she doesn’t stay directly under the bulb for too long, sometimes those spots are reading 86, is that ok?
I think I’m going to see what the night temps do tonight before changing them, maybe the viv having had the 150 heat all day, it’ll drop a lot slower and they’ll level out better, with no 86 spots for the night then, limiting the risk, curtains might help too, I’ll drape them over top and see what happens, may as well🙂

Fixed the uv lol, I’d been a plonk and put it on override😂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
86 is fine. And if she wants to sleep in the water dish... Well, it's her right to do so :) This might be a signal to adjust temperatures. She won't get a plastron fungus from a clean water. Sometimes they sit for days in abandoned and flooded animal burrows with their nostrils slightly above the water ("Not a husbandry advice. Don't try this at home").

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
86 is fine. And if she wants to sleep in the water dish... Well, it's her right to do so :) This might be a signal to adjust temperatures. She won't get a plastron fungus from a clean water. Sometimes they sit for days in abandoned and flooded animal burrows with their nostrils slightly above the water ("Not a husbandry advice. Don't try this at home").
Oh ok, I always had it in my mind if she were to sit in water for hours at a time she’ll be at risk of shell rot? Hence we soak her manually, Had no idea if was safe for them to sleep in it lol
I’m going to monitor the temps with the thick curtain over top tonight for the final night test, if the glass side stays warmer and she’s tucked into an 80 spot, I might leave them, I have this fear of her falling asleep under the 150 tbh

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Being 24/7 on wet, dirty substrate - is not good. And they sometimes get fungial infections even outdoors when rainy weather comes.

Self-soaking in clean water, as I can tell, doesn't increase risk of shell rot. If they can dry plastron next day this should be fine.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Being 24/7 on wet, dirty substrate - is not good. And they sometimes get fungial infections even outdoors when rainy weather comes.

Self-soaking in clean water, as I can tell, doesn't increase risk of shell rot. If they can dry plastron next day this should be fine.
Yeah we make sure to pour water in the corners near the beginning of the week to keep bottom layer damp, then we’ll give a mist for top ups, but the top layer always dries off within a few hours.
Mmm I figured self soaking itself isn’t an issue, it’s more the prolonged period of time I think would make us a little nervous.. I’m sure it’d be ok though like you say, just not something we’re used to her wanting to do.
Fingers crossed for better levels tonight, I’ll know then she’s nice and warm 24/7 throughout the viv, I don’t mind a small area in the 70’s, just want to narrow it down as much as I can

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
And no serious issues so far, she is settling really well - you did a great job!
Aw just read this part of your message, thank you🥹
Both the combos are reading higher tonight, 150 went off about 8hrs ago now, I’m going to leave the temp gun checks till a few hours before her 150 comes back on to keep the heat in as long as possible, but I’m hoping the thick curtain has helped the glass side,

Im just a little concerned now if there’s any spots constantly reading around 88 and the long term effects on her shell from that🫤fingers crossed on my checks the highest it goes is 86ish🤞🏻if ive got night temps all good, I’ll start monitoring the day tomorrow once the 150 is back and see if I can bring these slight hot spots down by adjusting the thermos slightly😣

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
There is nothing bad in hot spots of 88F. It's not extreme. She is an adult RF, her shell has already formed and the new growth is slow. They get warm more than that under the sun. If she sleeps under the heater - perhaps, she just wants a bit higher ambient temperature and we always have an option to block or shade the hot spots. Let's see how it goes

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok so the temp gun readings are much better in my opinion from last night, the cooler strip by the glass is a little narrower and reads 75 instead of 70, directly under the ‘night’ bulb read 90 which I’m not too keen on🫤under the other 100 that’s on constantly was about 88, then pretty much throughout 80-86, inside the main hide 80, and shed fell asleep in roughly an 84 zone, her shell itself read 88, is that a safe level? Perhaps that 90 spot won’t be a huge issue at night giving her behaviour seems to be pointing to the fact she’s picking out optimal temp spots to sleep so far? Like she did in her old one.. I can check where she falls asleep again, if it’s another good spot, I’m presuming I can trust her enough to pick a safe spot? Should I be worried about that 90 bit? I think to try and adjust the night temps again would just cause that glass area to drop back, and to have that 150 at night, judging on last nights temps, isn’t needed considering it could just cause another potential hot spot at night

I need to make sure these day temps don’t get too warm now the heat seems to be settling in, ill set an alarm and do my best today to bring these warm spots down a bit😣things aren’t too far off but there’s definitely bits I’m feeling a little nervous about..☹️