Sri Lankan Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
What can some of the experienced and not so experienced keepers tell me about the Sri Lankan Stars' personality and interaction with thier keeper? I know each tortoise is an individual and a lot depends on how secure the tortoise is in its sorroundings and how the keeper interacts with the tortoise, but I am looking for generally how they are. Please be specific as possible, giving me specific behaviors and incidents that portray thier propensity towards human interaction and demonstrate thier intelligence.
Thanks in Advance,
Andrew

samstar

5 Year Member
I do know that Sri Lankan Stars grow bigger than Indian Stars. Read it in Jerry Fife's Star Tortoise book.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine are very responsive to me. If I so much as stand in front of their pen they will if awake walk over to see what I have brought them. If I brought them nothing they will still generally hang out close to me unless it is too hot for them to remain in the sun. Mine will maintain eye contact for quite a long time which is interesting. Great animals! I still have not trained one to talk though. LOL Best wishes Douglas

J_Foster

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
elegans said:
Mine are very responsive to me. If I so much as stand in front of their pen they will if awake walk over to see what I have brought them. If I brought them nothing they will still generally hang out close to me unless it is too hot for them to remain in the sun. Mine will maintain eye contact for quite a long time which is interesting. Great animals! I still have not trained one to talk though. LOL Best wishes Douglas

Same here! I agree. While my mainland star (which I've owned for almost 5 years) is still quite shy, only warming up after you hold it for a while, my Sri Lankans are like little dogs. If they see me walk by, they follow my movements thinking I've brought them more food (because all they do is eat!!!). One of my younger Sris is completely fearless. He'll actually push my hand out of the way as I place the food in the enclosure. He doesn't bite or anything, he simply has no fear or patience. Also, the Sri's are definitely bigger. I have 2 that are 2 1/2 years old and they are already surpassing my 5 year old Indian Star up in size. I always laugh when people say they're delicate and shy because mine have loads of personality. I would recommend them to anyone who loves tortoises and who is serious about tortoises. After all, these animals are on the CITES list and I'd hate to see someone buy one for a young child and not bother to see if the child is properly caring for the little guy.
- Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.