Burmese blacks' personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
What can some of the experienced and not so experienced keepers tell me about the Burmese Blacks' personality and interaction with thier keeper? I know each tortoise is an individual and a lot depends on how secure the tortoise is in its sorroundings and how the keeper interacts with the tortoise, but I am looking for generally how they are. Please be specific as possible, giving me specific behaviors and incidents that portray thier propensity towards human interaction and demonstrate thier intelligence.
Thanks in Advance,
Andrew

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andrew:

My experience with the Manouria emys phayrei shows them to be pretty prehistoric. They move slow...they think slow...they see slow By that I mean if one of them is coming towards me for instance, to take a bite out of my bright yellow shoes, I can quickly jump over their back and out of sight and they just stand there looking around with a puzzled look wondering where I went. Whereas if I did the same stunt with Dudley, my sulcata, he would be able to follow me with his eyes and know where I went. Their personalities seem to be comparable with that of a box turtle. They get to be very social when humanized.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Thank You Yvonne!
I was hoping to hear from you, b/c I knew you were involved in keeping these guys. What is the most personable tortoise you have had experience with of any species?

emysemys said:
Hi Andrew:

My experience with the Manouria emys phayrei shows them to be pretty prehistoric. They move slow...they think slow...they see slow By that I mean if one of them is coming towards me for instance, to take a bite out of my bright yellow shoes, I can quickly jump over their back and out of sight and they just stand there looking around with a puzzled look wondering where I went. Whereas if I did the same stunt with Dudley, my sulcata, he would be able to follow me with his eyes and know where I went. Their personalities seem to be comparable with that of a box turtle. They get to be very social when humanized.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I LIKE the box turtles and the Manouria best, so I have always shown them the most attention. I suppose if I liked the sulcata as much, he would have the personality too, but I pretty much leave him alone. However, my sister interacts with her sulcata a lot, and he has a great personality. So just going by my own and my sister's experience, I'd say from first to last: box turtles, Manouria, sulcata, desert tortoise, Russian, Aldabran, Yellowfoot and lastly leopard. The pond turtles are really number one in the interaction category, though. They are the very most outgoing!!

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I am pleased to hear you say that!!! I almost discounted them as a possibility, b/c I had read some of your other post and mistook them being described as ''pirmitive'' as them having unintelligent and lack luster personalities, but it just sounds like that old and saged look that have matches thier personalities perfectly. I have contacted a seller about an unrealted pair and will update the introduction page to reflect the outcome, when I have confrimation. I think these will fit my climate best, being montane and moisture loving and if I move to Portland someday, they should like the rain there as well. I love to have some links or information from you personally about the care you give thema nd any trouble you have encountered and how you fixed them. All of the care sheets I have encountered give the basics about humidity and diet, but I ike to know what ''real'' people are doing and how they care for them. I would be interested most in hearing about particular fondess for food and the types and amounts of protiens you allow your blacks at various ages.

Thanks Again Yvonne!

emysemys said:
Well, I LIKE the box turtles and the Manouria best, so I have always shown them the most attention. I suppose if I liked the sulcata as much, he would have the personality too, but I pretty much leave him alone. However, my sister interacts with her sulcata a lot, and he has a great personality. So just going by my own and my sister's experience, I'd say from first to last: box turtles, Manouria, sulcata, desert tortoise, Russian, Aldabran, Yellowfoot and lastly leopard. The pond turtles are really number one in the interaction category, though. They are the very most outgoing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.