Personality w/Different Species?

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hey all!

So that tort bug has bit me again and I'm researching another tort.

I want something that needs a similar environment as my Red Foot (as to keep things simple) and the Manouria emys came up as a compatible environment match. Plus, they really interest me.

In your guys' opinion, how do you think the personality of a Black Burmese Mt. tort. would match up with that of a RF? My little man is very active and a curious sort.

Would I be able to let them interact? Would they be able to live in the same enclosure?

I know they get slightly bigger, would a Burmese pick on my male (he's already 8" currently, has potential to reach 15", depending)?

Should I get a female to avoid pissing matches during any interaction?

Just throwing this out there before I seriously decide to pull the trigger on anything, so any quirks, knowledge or gushing about the species would be greatly appreciated :).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of mixing species. I was told by a good reptile vet many years ago that tortoises have evolved to live harmoniously with the little micro-organisms inside their bodies. And that tortoises from other continents might be made sick from these same organisms. So in all my years of keeping tortoises (around 40) I have never mixed species.

My RF yard is adjacent to the Manouria yard, so that they share the same rain forest, however, they never come into contact with each other.

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Doing more research:

Mixing species, not cool, but still interested in a Manouria since I'm more comfortable providing a humid rainforest than I am a desert …

What is the general consensus on the personality of the Black Burmese Mountain Tort? I'm looking for something very inquisitive and individual …

Berkeley

I like Manouria a lot. Oh you'll get inquisitive and individual alright with that genus. They are very inquisitive and super intelligent; that is much more apparent as adults.
Are you absolutely set on a black? The browns are the same tortoise essentially, but in a slightly smaller package (~17 inches and 35-40 lbs).
--Berkeley

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I'm not 100% on Black, but they look beautiful …

I'm still at the point that I've honed in on a species, I just need more data to pull the trigger.

I'm moving to Vegas in the coming months and I know it sounds stupid not to go for a desert species, but I love the humid, forest guys <3 …

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Not sure about the blacks but I have been housing my 2 Browns with my redfoots for 3 years with good results .
Wow the Browns grow a lot faster than the redfoots ,
Is it the right thing to do to, mix the species (I don't know) but I do keep a close eye on them & they are in a 18' x21' by 6 ft. tall enclosure & have plenty of places to Hide .
Mostly the 2 Burmese browns stick to themselves & stay in their own part of the enclosure .
About the only time I see them interacting with the redfoots is during feeding times
My Burmese torts were locally hatched by a breeder here in South Texas