"Star" Laid another Egg

Lrodmyre

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lindstrom, MN
Hi All,

My Indian Star "Star" laid 4 eggs on March 10th. Well... She just laid another egg, almost a month later? It looks like she dug a little hole, laid the egg, and then did NOT bury it. From what I've read, they are usually not fertile? So that would make a total of 5 eggs. 3 are chalking over, so that's a good sign. This is her first time laying eggs. I am assuming that is not normal to wait a month and lay another egg? Any thoughts?

Also, since I have your attention, I also have 2 juvenile Indian Stars that have turned out to be male. So, I have 3:1. For Indian Stars, having 3 males, is that a bad thing? I have an L shaped Vivarium setup for winter. One side is 8x3, with the other side 6x3. I live in MN so when it is warm enough for them (Usually late June, July August and sometimes, Sept), I have a big outside enclosure for them. My concern is, is that too many males? I was wondering if I should sell one, or try to trade a male for a female, so at least it would be 2:2, or should I sell or trade both juvenile males, and try to get 2 females, so the ratio would be 1:3?

I let the juvenile males integrate with the two adults during the day for a while, and there seems to be "ganging" up on the female, and the males seem to care less about each other, but my concern is when they reach full adulthood.

I appreciate your time in answering my questions. Thank you. Happy Easter for those who celebrate it!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Might as well incubate that egg, it is likely infertile but as long as you watch it or incubate it seperate, then you have no loss potential here.

With having 3x the number of males and only one female, I would be concerned about them potentially harassing her to breed. I'd probably keep her separate except for when I want her bred. Adding additional females would give the males multiple targets, instead of just one

Lrodmyre

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lindstrom, MN
Might as well incubate that egg, it is likely infertile but as long as you watch it or incubate it seperate, then you have no loss potential here.

With having 3x the number of males and only one female, I would be concerned about them potentially harassing her to breed. I'd probably keep her separate except for when I want her bred. Adding additional females would give the males multiple targets, instead of just one
Thank you!

Lrodmyre

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lindstrom, MN
I am curious, how did that last egg turn out?
It was not fertile. She laid 5 first. Then a month later, laid that last one. Two eggs were fertile, and they hatched and are doing great! The other 4 were not fertile. From all of my research, I guess I'm pretty lucky to get 2, since most everything I've read said their first set of eggs are usually not fertile.