Started From The Bottom Now We're Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey how's everyone and their tortoises been? :D

It's been about 6 months or so since I've posted, updated anything on Mervin and Mabel and I thought I'd start with their enclosure. I recently moved into a new house I believe around February and recently decided to finally build an outdoor enclosure for the two because of the Las Vegas heat reaching new records of 117 degrees. Since I've moved Mervin and Mabel have been living outdoors in a low security, wasteland, but were still kept a close eye on. As for their growth, these have been the some of the slowest growing Sulcata's that I've ever raised, probably because of there previous indoor enclosure. Never the less they have grown surely, but slowly.

I lined the top of this storage container with coconut coir used for potting and planting to hold humidity inside of their hide.

The enclosure is 7'x4'x12" and took about a day to built and landscape. I planted "African Grazer Grass Mix" that I purchased from Tortoise Supply, three different lettuces and an Opuntia Cactus.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Beautiful! Your torts look very happy!! :D
BTW, you must be a fast builder! I couldn't do that in a day LOL.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
TortoiseLuv0131 said:
Beautiful! Your torts look very happy!! :D
BTW, you must be a fast builder! I couldn't do that in a day LOL.

Thank you very much! :D I was just motivated to finish, that way I wouldn't have to sunbathe under 117 degree weather lol. :p

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I am glad Mervin and mabel are doing well.
Outdoor enclosure looks great. Now they are going to gggggrrrrroooowwwwww!!!!!

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks fantastic! If I could offer one piece of advice, I would put a board or something over the hide, so it's always in the shade. The sun will super heat the hide and make it unusable during the day.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Started from the bottom now the whole team's here! :)

Very nice! I am planning to build my little ones an outdoor area sometime soon as well. Yours looks great, but yea the scorching hot weather is NOT a motivator for me. I'll probably wait till the weather cools down enough for my tortoises and I to both enjoy it!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
abclements said:
Looks fantastic! If I could offer one piece of advice, I would put a board or something over the hide, so it's always in the shade. The sun will super heat the hide and make it unusable during the day.

Thank you everyone for the generous comments and I'll continue keeping all of you updated! A matter of fact I actually did that the other day, I bought 4 more coconut coir liners and covered the top of the screened area. I hosed them down so they would keep moist and provide a good amount of humidity and keep that area cooler. I appreciate you looking out and the advice! :D

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Today I went to water their enclosure and saw that the grass has started to grow all over. I also found them soaking themselves in their water bowl under the shaded area. I've noticed since they've been kept outside, around 5 months now their shells have started to become lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.