Starter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
So I am looking at getting a red foot and have some questions. This would be my first tortoise but far from my first reptile.

First I have a question about the light and heat emitter.

Do you keep them on all the time or turn them off/down at night, just like it would happen naturally in the wild? Or does it really not matter and just a preference?

Second, the two I am currently looking at, one is only about a month old and the other is about 7 months. I have a thing for raising a pet from the time they are a baby so my initial preference is the younger one, but how much of a difference is there between the two in terms of care. The younger ones usually require more care but how much more.

The most important question has to do with moving and the stresses of it. Currently I am a college student(do live in an apartment so size isn't an issue) but because of that there would be some moving a couple times throughout the year. I would leave for a month during winter, 2 weeks during the spring and of course 3 months over summer. I can't leave it alone for that time so I would have to bring it with. So essentially 6 times a year(although only a 2 hour car drive) for about 2 years and then it will hopefully settle down. Is that something that can bring a ton of stress on the tortoise to the point in which it can harm it? Would the older tortoise(mentioned above) be better at handling it since it would be older? Also, keep in mind the second move wouldn't be for 4 months(so they would be 5 and 11 months respectively at that time). By that point at 5 months are they ok where it won't effect them that much?

Finally, about how old are they when they get fully grown or even better some sort of average size chart about how big they are at different ages would help a ton.

I am sure I will come up with more.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I recommend turning the lights off at night. What you do with the heat will depend on room temps etc. Ideally, a warm day and a less-warm night is correct. I would also recommend the older tortoise for you, since it's your first tort and you already know he/she will be moved around a bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jerm42991:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

jerm42991

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi jerm42991:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Jerm(it isn't my real name but what everyone I have known since I was 3 calls me)

and it depends on what part of the year for now at least

Originally from Chicago(and live here for about a month and a half of the year)
Go to school in Indiana
Work in the summers out in California

I did think of another question as well

Where I live for most of the time, the front yard is flat but the back yard is a hill(with about a 45-50 degree slope). I would prefer to have the outdoor enclosure in the back yard but I am worried about the hill(which I am at the top of). Are they adaptable to be able keep their balance on a hill or are they more clumsy and trip and end up rolling down it?

thanks again for any answers.

sammyr369

5 Year Member
jerm42991 said:
So I am looking at getting a red foot and have some questions. This would be my first tortoise but far from my first reptile.

Do you keep them on all the time or turn them off/down at night, just like it would happen naturally in the wild? Or does it really not matter and just a preference?

Second, the two I am currently looking at, one is only about a month old and the other is about 7 months. I have a thing for raising a pet from the time they are a baby so my initial preference is the younger one, but how much of a difference is there between the two in terms of care. The younger ones usually require more care but how much more.

The most important question has to do with moving and the stresses of it. Currently I am a college student(do live in an apartment so size isn't an issue) but because of that there would be some moving a couple times throughout the year. I would leave for a month during winter, 2 weeks during the spring and of course 3 months over summer. I can't leave it alone for that time so I would have to bring it with. So essentially 6 times a year(although only a 2 hour car drive) for about 2 years and then it will hopefully settle down. Is that something that can bring a ton of stress on the tortoise to the point in which it can harm it? Would the older tortoise(mentioned above) be better at handling it since it would be older? Also, keep in mind the second move wouldn't be for 4 months(so they would be 5 and 11 months respectively at that time). By that point at 5 months are they ok where it won't effect them that much?

Finally, about how old are they when they get fully grown or even better some sort of average size chart about how big they are at different ages would help a ton.

I am sure I will come up with more.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Hi! You will love these guys! They are so much fun!

Turn off the heat and lights at night. I use a timer that turns it all off and on at the same time everyday. It is better for them to have a sense of day and night.

Tortoises don't like moving any more than the rest of us but they seem to do best (in my experience) if you can:

*Keep them from being moved around too much in the vehicle - ie place their box between other boxes so they are stable.
*When you stop for a bathroom break, let them out for a little light (remember they aren't getting any UV in the box)
*Change their water along the way
*Try to stick with their schedule. If possible, feed them at the same time you usually feed them.
*Most important - don't be surprised if he/she is pissy! The last time I moved my turtle refused to talk to me for 2 weeks. Eventually he forgave me and we were fine!

As far as the 2 babies in question - I would go with the 7 month old. Since you have experience with reptiles I am sure you could handle the care, but I would be worried about moving such a little one when you get ready to move again. Just my 2 cents!

I don't know the answer to your fully grown question, but most turtle species are sexually mature around 5.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
jerm42991 said:

Please try to have it as dark as practical at night. Ceramic heat emitters and other options can be used if you need more heat. While some argue they do not need a nighttime drop, many others report having a lot of success with it.

Raising babies is a lot of fun, but the slightly older one will generally be easier and tougher, as well as more resistant to stress.

You can do several things to reduce stress, but since it is only for 2 hours, the easiest would be to offer an easy-to-carry tub that it can be warm and humid in, and seems like home with similar substrates, etc. They are sensitive to vibrations, so place the tub on some foam or something during the drive to minimize this.

They can eventually hit about 12 inches, depending on gender and type. There is not currently a good growth chart but figure that it will take over 8 years to get there.

There are a lot of good care sites you can try. My site, listed below, has care articles, and lots of great links.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Well from my little redfoot (baby) he HATES when I handle him. Each time I pick him up he will always pee on me. I think they can reach 14-16 inches and it will probably take 10 years or so for that to happen. I leave the lights on at night because I don't have a ceramic yet. It doesn't really bother him except he eats mostly at like 2 or 6 in the morning and then he comes for his lunch at 11am. I don't mind at all though. I think you should get a little one since it's your first redfoot and you might get a good relationship started when it's young. For the hill part they should be fine just make sure that you have something that will help it not fall.

Tip:
If it ever pees on you don't ever have the idea of smelling it...

One more thing if you get a baby then he might not come out and eat by himself for a while. My tortoise didn't come out and eat by himself for like 4 weeks so those 4 weeks I had to bring him out to show him there's food. But that's only for shy tortoise unless you had a bad cage or the bedding had lots of dust so that's mostly why mines wouldn't come out until I changed his bedding and cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.