Still trying to adopt a tortoise

JWineastKY

Location (City and/or State)
Powell County, Kentucky
I posted about trying to adopt one, before, but it has disappeared!
I am still trying to adopt a tortoise that needs a new home. I live in eastern Kentucky, so one that would do well with the KY climate would be best.
Are you willing to help me out?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You will have to let people get to know you first. No body is going to give you a tortoise to adopt without knowing what you are about . There's people that join this forum just to get free animals to sell them latter then you don't hear about them again . No offence but get on chat let people get to know you to see what you're about .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to what Mike said, RFs are a valuable animal. It is unlikely that anyone is going to give one away for free. There is no harm in asking, but don't be surprised if your email inbox isn't overflowing with offers.

Best of luck in your search.

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
You will have to let people get to know you first. No body is going to give you a tortoise to adopt without knowing what you are about . There's people that join this forum just to get free animals to sell them latter then you don't hear about them again . No offence but get on chat let people get to know you to see what you're about .
I don't know how to get on chat! I've never even used chat on facebook.
I WILL NOT sell a tortoise that I have waited more than 40 years to get! I am middle- aged, disabled, and have loved turtles in general from the time I was a small boy. If you had bothered to read my "about me" section, you wouldn't be insulting me! >:-(

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
In addition to what Mike said, RFs are a valuable animal. It is unlikely that anyone is going to give one away for free. There is no harm in asking, but don't be surprised if your email inbox isn't overflowing with offers.

Best of luck in your search.
Thanks. I value an animal by its' affection, not by money, so things like this don't honestly make sense to me...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Have you checked your local animal shelters? Sometimes they get torts, not often up north but sometimes you see it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Why don't you tell us about yourself, animals/ turtles/tortoises you have had,how you cared for them, what you liked or did not like about them, what happened to them.
Respectfully I have to agree with Mike. It will be hard to get a free Redfoot but people on the forum would need to know you.
Stick around. :)
Welcome!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO but with only 12 posts your not likely to get a free tort out of anybody here. The chat section is just another thread on here similar to this topic. It's just where a bunch of us hang out and chit chat about nothing and everything. Redfoots are hard to come by. Most of what you see up for adoption are sulcatas because people get them as hatchlings then they get big an they realize the shoe box they were keeping it in is too small and there apartment isn't big enough so they give them up. You've got to understand where mike is coming from and not take it personal. We get tons of people that join this site and first thing ask for a free tortoise. Then we never hear from them again. Become a regular around here and your chances of someone helping you find a tort will get better but right now we don't see any difference from you to the 100 other new guys coming on here asking for an adoption.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I WILL NOT sell a tortoise that I have waited more than 40 years to get! I am middle- aged, disabled, and have loved turtles in general from the time I was a small boy. If you had bothered to read my "about me" section, you wouldn't be insulting me! >:-(
I'm sorry you fill this way . I'm not trying to insult you in anyway . I'm just telling you like it is . I was a member of this forum for a year and was posting pictures of my little guys and girls . Yes I have got free tortoises from people I have met here but anytime they want to come see my setups they can . I have a redfoot that I got from a member named Fred for free . But if he decides he wants him back he is here waiting for his first family . I understand you want a tortoise but you need to understand you have ti earn trust here . I'm not trying to be an *** really I'm not . I hope you find one and post pictures and stay a member .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Please don't be offended :) Mike only wanted to tell you that because red foots (and all other animals we own) are special, people don't like giving them away easily. They would give them to members they know well, because they want to be %100 sure they get the best care. I'm sure that Mike didn't mean that you would sell the tortoise, but he meant there are many people who want free red foots to sell, so people are always cautious when they out any animal for adoption. We would all be very happy to have you around, so I suggest reading all you can about redfoots. I suggest building an enclosure and saving up for a redfoot, even though adopting is a very nice thing to do, you won't always be able to find a redfoot for adoption near you. I'd suggest checking all animal shelters near you after building that enclosure :D

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Please don't be offended :) Mike only wanted to tell you that because red foots (and all other animals we own) are special, people don't like giving them away easily. They would give them to members they know well, because they want to be %100 sure they get the best care. I'm sure that Mike didn't mean that you would sell the tortoise, but he meant there are many people who want free red foots to sell, so people are always cautious when they out any animal for adoption. We would all be very happy to have you around, so I suggest reading all you can about redfoots. I suggest building an enclosure and saving up for a redfoot, even though adopting is a very nice thing to do, you won't always be able to find a redfoot for adoption near you. I'd suggest checking all animal shelters near you after building that enclosure :D
Okay. I gotcha. I already decided that if it's at all possible, I'd like to get one as a Christmas gift, this year. I want to be ready to take good care of it before it comes.
I took offense at first, but have now calmed down. My Asperger's causes me to think very differently than most folks do, so try to understand my limitations with it, okay? :)

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
Why don't you tell us about yourself, animals/ turtles/tortoises you have had,how you cared for them, what you liked or did not like about them, what happened to them.
Respectfully I have to agree with Mike. It will be hard to get a free Redfoot but people on the forum would need to know you.
Stick around. :)
Welcome!
You'll need to go into detail when you ask me to tell about myself. I have Asperger Syndrome, and to me "tell me about yourself" could have any number of meanings.
As far as the turtles I have had for pets over the years- many of them wouldn't eat after they were caught, so of course my dad made me release them. I had one that would eat with no problems, but then we had to move, so once again, I was made to let it go. (It would readily eat mealworms in the bathtub with warm running water, so that was good)
I remember always wanting a tortoise as a boy, but the thought of my having a turtle bigger than a box turtle was more than my dad could take! Haha! :-D
I remember once mom, dad, and I moved to Florida with my uncle and aunt who went there about a job. I heard tell you could buy turtles locally, there, so we went looking for them. Unfortunately, for some reason they no longer carried them (I can't remember why not); but within a few more days my uncle and aunt brought me a LARGE painted turtle they had found along the road! I enjoyed keeping it as long as I did. Unfortunately, when my parents decided to move back to Kentucky, dad insisted on putting it in the trunk of the car! It managed to force its' way out moving down the highway, and I was one SAD little boy when we got back to KY! :-(

JWineastKY

Powell County, Kentucky
I'm sorry you fill this way . I'm not trying to insult you in anyway . I'm just telling you like it is . I was a member of this forum for a year and was posting pictures of my little guys and girls . Yes I have got free tortoises from people I have met here but anytime they want to come see my setups they can . I have a redfoot that I got from a member named Fred for free . But if he decides he wants him back he is here waiting for his first family . I understand you want a tortoise but you need to understand you have ti earn trust here . I'm not trying to be an *** really I'm not . I hope you find one and post pictures and stay a member .
Okay, I understand. I misread you at first, and am sorry I did! It can be really hard to understand people when you have the condition I was born with- some mean you ill, but you can't tell it; others actually mean you well, but you can't read what they mean by what they say, so miscommunications do occur.
So let's bury the hatchet and gently try our friendship starting again, okay? Thanks! :)
It really would be nice to get a free Redfoot, but at this point in time, I'm not going to be counting strongly on it.
Have a good day!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Okay. I gotcha. I already decided that if it's at all possible, I'd like to get one as a Christmas gift, this year. I want to be ready to take good care of it before it comes.
I took offense at first, but have now calmed down. My Asperger's causes me to think very differently than most folks do, so try to understand my limitations with it, okay? :)
Anyone could have been offended by that message. When you type things on a computer, all emotions disappear :D!