Substrate advice!

Location (City and/or State)
leeds
I was advised to swap my old substrate for coco coir, I ordered what I thought was right but instead I got regular coir. Is this ok for my hermanns tortoise?20171130_153446.jpg20171130_153509.jpg

Bambam1989

East Texas
It looks like coco coir. You might try adding a bit more water, it still looks a little dry to me.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Coir is the right stuff, and what you purchased. I agree with BamBam, you could probably hydrate it a bit more.
  • Coir ( /ˈkɔɪər/), or coconut fibre, is a natural fibre extracted from the husk of coconut and used in products such as floor mats, doormats, brushes and mattresses. Coir is the fibrous material found between the hard, internal shell and the outer coat of a coconut. Other uses of brown coir (made from ripe coconut) are in upholstery padding, sacking and horticulture. White coir, harvested from unripe coconuts, is used for making finer brushes, string, rope and fishing nets.[Wikipedia]

leeds
Coir is the right stuff, and what you purchased. I agree with BamBam, you could probably hydrate it a bit more.
  • Coir ( /ˈkɔɪər/), or coconut fibre, is a natural fibre extracted from the husk of coconut and used in products such as floor mats, doormats, brushes and mattresses. Coir is the fibrous material found between the hard, internal shell and the outer coat of a coconut. Other uses of brown coir (made from ripe coconut) are in upholstery padding, sacking and horticulture. White coir, harvested from unripe coconuts, is used for making finer brushes, string, rope and fishing nets.[Wikipedia]
That's great guys thanks. Is it also normal for him to completely submerge himself in it when he sleeps?