substrate for Hermanns??

E*G+B

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Hi, I was just reading this thread.
I have a Hermanns Bruno is about one and a half
His substrate at the moment is tortoise life Mediterranean.
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a better substrate as at the moment he goes through his water bowl so much when I get in he is covered in his soil and the water bowl is turned into a mud bowl. He literally has so much stuck to him.
I've put the bowl on newspaper and then stones on top and no soil around that but some how he manages to still do it. Is there a less messy option?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because they walk through their food and water, anything you use will be messy. There are things you might do to lessen the problem, but nothing will eliminate it.

Move the waterer to the middle of the enclosure. Most tortoises walk along the wall/edge of their habitat.

Place flat stones around the waterer to help get the substrate to fall off the feet before he reaches the waterer.

Also, you can pat the substrate firmly with the palm of your hand to get the substrate to hold together better.

My substrate of choice is orchid bark, the small size kibble.

E*G+B

East Sussex
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I will try to move it as I do already have stones around it and no soil around it.
I think he will just still do it, he's a very active little one he doesn't stop he'll just march through his water straight into the dirt :)
Thanks

E*G+B

East Sussex
Hi.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what soil from the garden centre is safe to use as substrate.
I need something that won't be harmful if Bruno eats it and there is a good chance he will try to
It needs to be a brand in the UK if anyone knows one.
Thanks

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I like my set up. Fine coco coir about 3-4 inches deep, covered by the coarse coco bedding. Humidity of the fine stuff, cleanliness of the coarse stuff.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Because they walk through their food and water, anything you use will be messy. There are things you might do to lessen the problem, but nothing will eliminate it.

Place flat stones around the waterer to help get the substrate to fall off the feet before he reaches the waterer.

Thats a great idea! I have some river stones somewhere....

E*G+B

East Sussex
Hi thanks for the reply.
I'll see what I can get tomorrow and have a look for what you've mentioned
Thanks

E*G+B

East Sussex
I managed to get some coir brick the one you soak in water and mixed that with top soil I found a natural one that doesn't have things added to it. Hopefully he will like that and it should stay a lot more moist then the other stuff he had before