Substrate

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hey guys! So I’m getting my new enclosure tomorrow. I have orchid bark and I’m going to use that as a substrate. How long should I soak it for? I want to make sure that is stays humid? Do I soak it in a bin that has holes on the bottom so it can drain. What are y’all’s best suggestions? I have realized doesn’t work because it only keeps the top layer moist.!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys! So I’m getting my new enclosure tomorrow. I have orchid bark and I’m going to use that as a substrate. How long should I soak it for? I want to make sure that is stays humid? Do I soak it in a bin that has holes on the bottom so it can drain. What are y’all’s best suggestions? I have realized doesn’t work because it only keeps the top layer moist.!!!
You don't need to soak it at all. You just put it into the enclosure and add as much water as is needed to keep it lightly damp. It is good if the top layer is mostly dry and the lower layers are more damp.

How much water to add and how often varies tremendously from one enclosure to the next, and it varies seasonally within the same enclosure. You have to go by feel. You want it lightly damp, but not sopping wet. If the top layer looks dry, swish your finger down in to the substrate a bit to see if it's damp underneath. If it is damp, smile and walk away. If its too dry, dump in some water.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
You don't need to soak it at all. You just put it into the enclosure and add as much water as is needed to keep it lightly damp. It is good if the top layer is mostly dry and the lower layers are more damp.

How much water to add and how often varies tremendously from one enclosure to the next, and it varies seasonally within the same enclosure. You have to go by feel. You want it lightly damp, but not sopping wet. If the top layer looks dry, swish your finger down in to the substrate a bit to see if it's damp underneath. If it is damp, smile and walk away. If its too dry, dump in some water.
Got it. Thank you!!!