Succulents

rudeboy1964

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi,
We have our young hermanni Taco home (26.6 grams lol).
I want to give her as varied a diet as possible and outdoor wild plants are hard to come by where I live in Dublin, Ireland. Also supermarkets don't stock great selection of greens other than green and red lettuce (which he loves). Are most succulents (indoor Grown) okay to give them if they eat it.
Also what other type of plants that can be grows indoors can be added to their diet. Peace lilys, spider plants etc?
Thanks

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Have you checked out the Tortoise table? They have a plant database which lists plants by safety level: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/

These succulents are safe:
  • Aeonium spp.
  • Echeveria spp.
  • Gasteria spp.
  • Haworthia spp.
  • Aptenia cordifolia
  • Sempervivum spp.
  • Hylotelephium spectabile
  • Graptopetalum paraguayense
  • Sedum spp.
Remember that with all succulent plants, eating large quantities can cause diarrhea.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hi,
We have our young hermanni Taco home (26.6 grams lol).
I want to give her as varied a diet as possible and outdoor wild plants are hard to come by where I live in Dublin, Ireland. Also supermarkets don't stock great selection of greens other than green and red lettuce (which he loves). Are most succulents (indoor Grown) okay to give them if they eat it.
Also what other type of plants that can be grows indoors can be added to their diet. Peace lilys, spider plants etc?
Thanks
You can check online stores like ShelledWarriors or Tortoise Hut for seed mixes. They should grow well indoors with some help like plant grow lights. Tortoise Hut also has opuntia pads sometimes, you can try to grow one or two (lay a pad or half-bury it vertically in soil for succulents, water once a week or so and wait).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You can check online stores like ShelledWarriors or Tortoise Hut for seed mixes. They should grow well indoors with some help like plant grow lights. Tortoise Hut also has opuntia pads sometimes, you can try to grow one or two (lay a pad or half-bury it vertically in soil for succulents, water once a week or so and wait).
Yep these are great sites! I’d bear in mind with store brought, it’s advised you wash roots off and re plant into fertiliser and pesticide free soil, then wait for new growth to feed, there’s no way to guarantee what kind of soil the supermarkets have used.

However with tortoise sites like these, their already established plants don’t have that problem or you can buy yourself some seeds and start your own😁