Respiratory Infection ? Normal Breathing?

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora
been checking up on him and it’s still the same noise, he was out all day yesterday eating and sun bathing. @Tom what do you think ?

Glendora
In a ruff spot atm. I took Normand to the vet since he’s still making that strange noise when he’s breathing. He is still very active and eating. I was told to give him antibiotics for 28 days ! There’s no runny noise and eyes are clear and shell is healthy as the vet said. We already injected him once and it was a hard process.
IMG_0851.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Baytril injections are painful. Did the vet run any tests? Or maybe explained why Baytril was prescribed instead of more common Fortaz?

Glendora
Baytril injections are painful. Did the vet run any tests? Or maybe explained why Baytril was prescribed instead of more common Fortaz?
Nope she didn’t do any test but just look at him. He looked healthy and the only strange thing was the noise from he’s noise. They did take a stool sample and I will get the results tomorrow. They said he’s eyes are clear , she’ll looks healthy , skin looks healthy and he was very strong.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I believe baytril is a bit dated in terms of a treatment option am I right? I know it can be used but I’m right in saying fortaz is usually the best first port of call? Baytril has risks?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I believe baytril is a bit dated in terms of a treatment option am I right? I know it can be used but I’m right in saying fortaz is usually the best first port of call? Baytril has risks?
Baytril is more effective against some types of infections than Fortaz (these are two different classes of antibiotics with different action mechanism). However, given adverse side effects (and heavy allergic reactions in some species like Leopards) of Baytril injections, Fortaz is often used now for unidentified infections.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Nope she didn’t do any test but just look at him. He looked healthy and the only strange thing was the noise from he’s noise. They did take a stool sample and I will get the results tomorrow. They said he’s eyes are clear , she’ll looks healthy , skin looks healthy and he was very strong.
If the noise comes from the nose, perhaps vet has suspected mycoplasma... In that case Baytril is more effective, but just injections won't gonna work.

Did the vet confirmed that struggled breathing comes from the nose and not from the bronchs/lungs? There is a tiny chance that flushing nostrils with saline solution can help...

Glendora
If the noise comes from the nose, perhaps vet has suspected mycoplasma... In that case Baytril is more effective, but just injections won't gonna work.

Did the vet confirmed that struggled breathing comes from the nose and not from the bronchs/lungs? There is a tiny chance that flushing nostrils with saline solution can help...
Hmm I see what you mean. I attached a video on this thread. The noise comes and goes. Should soaking more often help? She just told me it’s a respiratory infection and that I would have to inject him for 22 days straight. I’m reading here on TF that it’s not good.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hmm I see what you mean. I attached a video on this thread. The noise comes and goes. Should soaking more often help? She just told me it’s a respiratory infection and that I would have to inject him for 22 days straight. I’m reading here on TF that it’s not good.
Is there like long periods where there is no sound for days and then it comes back?

Glendora
Is there like long periods where there is no sound for days and then it comes back?
Yes and no. When I’m near him the heavy breathing kind of starts. For example when I took him to the vet there was no noise but then when the vet put him on the table he started the heavy breathing again. Something is telling me he got something stuff in he’s noise cus that’s the only wrong thing that I can notice.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Yes and no. When I’m near him the heavy breathing kind of starts. For example when I took him to the vet there was no noise but then when the vet put him on the table he started the heavy breathing again. Something is telling me he got something stuff in he’s noise cus that’s the only wrong thing that I can notice.
You can flush nares (nostrils) with sterile saline solution and see if it helps.