sulcata colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
How typical is marbling in a sulcata? Mine seems to be showing a little bit. Also, if any of you smart people can give me a little insight on the color change they go through. It seems like more than just sun bleaching, I know the ones that get outside are the ones that get brighter, still, what's going on to make that happen? I guess I'll try to get a good pic of the marbling tomorrow, my baby is sleeping. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't wait to see the pic. I have never heard of it in a sully, but I guess it might be possible.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Do a search for "Livingstone", This may be what you are talking about. I love the coloration on him. None of mine have any marbling or outstanding colors.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I've seen Livingstone, I know sulcatas get lighter as they grow if they get time outside, those raised inside seem to stay dark. My internet has been messing up and I haven't been on much, I'll have to get a pic of the marbling on mine today, you can see him getting lighter too, but there is some white splotches coming in with the new growth.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
POTATOSHAVE006_zps0ab4cecb.jpg

Here you can see the white, and that one patch is really really white. I suspect it will darken over time, I dunno, has anyone else seen marbling in a sully?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
With all this time outside and exercise we got some more new growth bringing in even more white patches. What's going on with this? Has anyone seen this in a sully before?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
So... after two years of being "the tortoise" we are now calling him "Marble" Had another long walk outside today after some grazing time in his pen. Pardon the red stick food face.
Marbleoutside006_zps40c95df6.jpg

Marbleoutside007_zps31aae918.jpg

Marbleoutside004_zpsa3f93e03.jpg

Marbleoutside005_zps9fe67583.jpg

Marbleoutside001_zps939a0f78.jpg

After all that hard work, in for a soak and back in the pen for a while. When we came in for the night he finally settled in and crashed lol. Poor baby had such a rough day being a tortoise :p

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I've seen several like that color in my country. They are beautiful, but I've never seen new growth which is that white in color like yours.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yellow Turtle said:
I've seen several like that color in my country. They are beautiful, but I've never seen new growth which is that white in color like yours.

The white lines are just new growth, but those two white patches up front are the marbly spots I'm talking about, and he's getting more of them as he grows. Just to clarify. Thanks for the comment. :)

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Thank you both, He's bumpier than I wanted him to be... but I don't think it will have any lasting effects, probably won't even be noticeable as an adult. Still bothers me a little though, I'll admit lol I'm prideful.

Status
Not open for further replies.