Sulcata going to bed early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
My Sulcata comes out of his house around 9am but is back in by 1pm. Sometimes he hangs out until 3-4. It seems a bit early to me, but he is my first adult. Does that sound odd to anyone else? I'm only asking because before we built the house over his spot, he was active until 5 or 6pm.

Some background: He is from Long Island Turtle Rescue and has only been here for a week and a half. He eats around the yard, basks in the sun, acts fine. The house was built over his burrowing spot. It is on the north side of the house. Not my first choice, but apparently, it is his first choice. It is quiet, in a narrow part of the side yard, nestled in the corner of fences. It is secured and reinforced so he can't dig under the fence. And we check daily to make sure he is not digging down. right now he is just making a shallow in the dirt. The sunlight hits that spot in the afternoon and the house is really warm. Outside temps are currently 86/70.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...you are having great temps :D We have had crap cold weather here the last couple of days....

He does not sound like anything is wrong.....do you have a warm place for him to retreat to in the evening when the temps do drop? I think that since he is still new to you and you to him and the new place....maybe give him a bit to get a routine so that you will then be able to know if something begins to go off center??? :D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
When I let Tony out early. He grazes for a few hrs and paces the fence..then around 11am he is in his hide.. Then when it starts to cool down around 4-5 he is out again grazing and pacing...unless it rains then he is out as soon as it starts...

I think the heat from the Mid day sun keeps him in the hide..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I don't see a problem...

I went outside today around noon and my Sulcata was in his burrow. I placed some greens on the ground for him and started working on his winter house. 5 minutes later he came out of his burrow and checked out what I was doing then ate the greens then walked around and grazed on the grass for about 15 minutes then back down into his burrow. When I left for work at 3:30 pm he was still in his burrow. Not sure what he did after that, but he does things different everyday.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks guys. I've never had an adult and he acts a bit slower than the little ones. I'm sure it's to be expected.

brutus

5 Year Member
columbia south carolina
Brutus has been in his hot house these last few nights before 5pm snuggled up to the heater. I think hes a bit mad at me for moving his stuff around.

Status
Not open for further replies.