Sulcata Hatchling Care Video

Funadriansito

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Tx
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I recently got a sulcata hatchling and noticed that there is a huge lack of informative videos on how to raise a baby sulcata. I’m not a huge fan of reading so if it weren’t for the fact that I obsess over my baby (and the help of tortoise forum), all the things I would be doing for my baby would be because of outdated YouTube videos. All the videos we found either had information that we felt was incorrect or just didn’t emphasize a lot of the key misconceptions that could negatively impact the life of the babies. Because of this, we set out to do what little we could to help improve the lives of our little friends by making important information more accessible to people who simply search YouTube for the answers.

Disclaimer: we aren’t experts in anyway so if anything is wrong with the video about how to care for hatchlings in the slightest, please let me know and I will be sure to leave a footnote on the video with updated information, thank you!

Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=a8ab2k8u5KA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love that you took the time to make this video. I hope it helps people. You hit some good points, but there are a few things I would change. All constructive criticism here:
  • Too much talking initially. 14+ minutes is an awfully long video. I think it could be condensed, and that would lose fewer viewers. Adding more tortoise and enclosure footage early on might mix things up a bit and hold people's attention better.
  • The info about glass tanks is a persistent myth. You spent a lot of time talking about that, but people like me and Yvonne and many others have been starting babies in glass tanks for decades with no issues. I think it makes you lose credibility when you say how bad it is to use a glass tank and explain how the invisible barrier makes them crazy because they don't understand it, when people who actually keep them that way, like me, know that what you are saying is false. This is an often repeated myth, and it makes sense when you hear it, but in reality, it is not true. I don't want someone to hear that first, and then dismiss the rest of your video that has some good info in it.
  • Kiddie pools in general are not a good way to house babies because they are too open and humidity can't be kept up. You guys have solved that problem brilliantly! But I think you should give more explanation about how you made that green house, or where you found it. Because the greenhouse is a key element of your system working, I'd like to know more about it. How well does it help maintain temperatures?
  • The info about daily soaks and spraying was great, but so brief. Those are very important details, and they just sort of seemed thrown in at the end. I'd like to hear you talking more about that toward the beginning and spending more time on it.
  • Babies don't usually burrow. They might wiggle in to the loose substrate sometimes, but they don't dig down like older ones do.
  • I find coco coir to be too messy for this species. Have you tried fine grade orchid bark? It works much better, and it is what I use for them now. Also, both of these substrates can be purchased in bulk at a MUCH cheaper price at a garden center.
  • The half logs are nice, but they don't hold in humidity well enough for the tortoise to use it as a humid hide. I'd like to see a good humid hide demonstrated in your video, and it would be good for your tortoise to have one too.
  • Be aware that MVBs are extremely desiccating, and many of them stop making UV after three months, even though the bulb still lights up and appears to be working. Only a UV meter will tell you whether it is working or not. My preference in recent years has been to move to a lower wattage regular incandescent flood bulb for heat and basking, and use a florescent HO tube for light and UV. Your enclosure and PVC lighting rack would make this very easy.
  • I love that you mention and compliment Austin and link him in your description. He does a great job starting babies and he deserves the praise.

I hope these things help future efforts and thanks again for making this video and posting it here.

Funadriansito

Houston, Tx
Thanks Tom! I’ll look into making a new video to replace all the information that is off in this video!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! I’ll look into making a new video to replace all the information that is off in this video!

Looking forward to it. Wish I had the skills and know-how to make a video like yours. I think you will reach many more people that way. I support your efforts!

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
thanks for the video and the comments. They all help those taking care of hatchlings.