Sulcata Owner - 9 year old guy

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
In the winters, he had to live indoors. I kept him in my kitchen/dining area. I found out that they can be potty trained, so messes weren't a problem, but months of artificial light and hard floors are not the same as the sun and the great outdoors!

I moved to MN from CA where he had a large outdoor enclosure. I moved in the winter, so he did get very depressed until I sorted out his habitat (proper lights, food, etc.).

As much as I liked MN, it is nice to be back in CA. My coworkers told me last Sunday was -35 with the wind chill. That's a bit cold for me. The last winter I was there ('13-'14) it reached -65 with the wind chill. I'm really not a winter person.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
My coworkers told me last Sunday was -35 with the wind chill. That's a bit cold for me. The last winter I was there ('13-'14) it reached -65 with the wind chill. I'm really not a winter person.
Yeah, it's been a bit chilly the past week, I almost wore a hat one day!
I am concerned about housing our sulcata (Odin) in the winters when he is larger, and we will certainly have to be creative, but right now (he is 9 months) it's a piece of cake.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I didn't answer the location question posted earlier. I am in Los Angeles (just next to Marina Del Rey).

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
When I first moved to MN, Hercules was in a two story tortoise table I had built. Within a year he grew out of that and I gave him run of my place (except the bedroom where there was carpet). He was annoying at times as he followed me around everywhere, often sneaking up behind me, then breathing on my heels, which would scare me every time!

They have so much personality. When I had visitors over, he would head to his box and tuck in without moving until they left. Then he'd come out and hang out right next to me for the rest of the evening.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Odin's Gma, I just remembered the renaissance fair. I loved that and would attend every year. A couple had two Sulcatas that they would bring (one large 100lbs or so, and the other mid-sized). They had renaissance costumes for them as well, and were ridiculously cute. Seemed really well cared for. The owners told me they had a nice basement enclosure for the winter months.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome! He may be slow to grow but that growth is beautifully smooth for a sully! you've been doing good.