Sulcata runs to the shade

nguyenda

Location (City and/or State)
California
It's finally warm enough to take my 3.5 inch Sulcata outside (72F) and everytime I place him into the sun, he finds his way into the shade and stays there. I can imagine the shade being a lot cooler, but he seems to want that more than the warm sun. Is this normal?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you take any pictures of him where he is, and the landscape and ground he is on now?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Security is more important to them than warmth? Could be that your little one is warm enough and is seeking the shade to explore his world in safety. My baby did the same thing. Now, as an adult he spends most of the day hiding in shade or deep shade when the temps get above 90°. If it gets too cold for him I believe it would find a spot to warm up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have an adult leopard that would rather hide in the shade all day then wonder and roam in the sunny yard.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's a new area. Once they get familiar they will wonder a little more. Not all torts are about roaming. I have one that roams a lot, almost nonstop and two that does about half the time and then the one that hides all day.