10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Seems small but that could be from the small enclosure (u had said a 20 gallon tank i think)... My 20 month old leopard is just over 600g. i think when you make all the right changes s/he will take off growing!!!:D:tort: good luck and keep us posted!!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Go to your local feed and seed. They will have it or access to order it. youd be surprized how many Sulcata owners there are in Texas and Oklahoma and the local Feed and Seed stores will carry the large bags (#25) for about $30 I know its alot of food now, but it keeps along time and 1 or 2 kibbles soaked in water to moisten. He should start gobbling it down with a quickness!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Id say you need Mazuri, and lots of water and sunshine when you can, our sulcata was under 100 grams until his 1 year birthday, very slow growing, now at 1 year 7 months he is at about 350 grams, he is gaing weight like crazy now. I aways keep a clean bowl of water in their for him and he is constantly self soaking or drinking out of it, I also have soaked him every single day sometimes twice a day for 30 mins, changing his water when it even starts to cool down, at any time my tortoise can poop out a 10-20 gram poop and pee out 10-15 grams a water. you would never think that they can hold that much, you may water to alter you setup a little, make sure your basking spot is good, also his favorite corner to sleep in make a humid hid out of a tupperware and put it in the corner so he will go in their instead, I found one you find the right hydration methods for your set up, your tort will grow like no other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SulcataSquirt's experience is not all that unusual. My Daisy was that same way too. Now at four years old she is around 10 pounds. She grew very little for the first 2 1/2 to 3 years.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Ok, so turns out I have to have special order the Mazuri tort diet so I'm calling around checking prices and I'll have the food as soon as they get shipment. I'm starting her on 2 daily soaks today, she had fun in her bath this morning - she was SUPER active! We just finished the lid on her cage, now to do the plexiglass so I can spike her humidity!

I just can't believe how ignorant I was to the care of my little baby, and again am SO thankful I found this forum! Sure hope things look up, I can't wait until she's stomping around the house!

LParkey

5 Year Member
RED FLAG?! Ok, so we put plexiglass in the sides of Sunshine's tort table today, and I soaked her twice. I was holding her as they were doing the plexiglass and saw her breathe a bubble out of her nostril ... I have previously been advised by several members that it doesn't matter how quickly I raise her humidity/moisture as long as the temp/lighting is correct. Let me tell you what I've got going on - basking spot ranges from 95-105*, cool side of cage stays around 80* during the day, at night temps stay around 70-75*. I don't want her getting an upper respitory infection because I'm adding too much moisture/humidity too quickly. Should I be concerned? Cause I am!
Also, I am using ReptiBark for substrate, and was curious what to mix with it that will hold moisture well? I have some organic soil and sand I can add, but didn't know what would be best? I know a lot of people don't recommend the ReptiBark because of compaction, but I've never had that issue.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every once in a while they can blow a bubble after a soak. I don't think twice a day soaking will give you any benefit over once a day for a tortoise of that age. I think getting it warm and humid, plus shell spraying, plus some Mazuri will be about the best you can do.

With humidity and moisture I keep my ambient temp around 80 all the time. I think 70 is too low for night time with humidity. Its fine for a dry set up, but not with a lot of dampness. my usual strategy is a 100 degree basking spot on a 12 hour timer over one end, and a CHE on a thermostat over the middle of the enclosure. The thermostat will maintain a minimum ambient temp for you all the time and then shut off when the basking light gets things warm enough or during the summer months.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Weighed Sunshine again today, the scale is saying 96.98 grams!!!!! Excited to see her weight going up! She ate pretty well today, but nowhere near what she used to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.