Summer Summer (Time)~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Well, Arizona is starting to hit its hot months, so I brought Ptolmey and Olympia inside for some sweet snacks and a good long soak in the cool house!

While Olympia is enjoying her bath, here's a quick shot of Ptolmey enjoying some strawberries!ImageUploadedByTortForum1370463373.922077.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is a lot of strawberry for a greek. Too much sugar in my opinion.

It's better if you eat the fruit and your feed the green hulls (the stalk and leaves) to your tort. No more than one bit that size very occasionally.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can send some of your heat my way anytime. We still are getting lots of high 60's and low 70's with cool breeze:D nice looking tort and a fine treat.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
JoesMum said:
That is a lot of strawberry for a greek. Too much sugar in my opinion.

It's better if you eat the fruit and your feed the green hulls (the stalk and leaves) to your tort. No more than one bit that size very occasionally.

They only ever eat two or three thin slices each :) I just give them more in case they want it, and that little pile is for two torts to share. And they've already eaten a good majority of the greens I'd put down.

wellington said:
You can send some of your heat my way anytime. We still are getting lots of high 60's and low 70's with cool breeze:D nice looking tort and a fine treat.

Hahaha! Oh man, I wish that was our heat. We're already in the high 90's low 100's!
And thank you :) he's a good boy, and his girlfriend is just the sweetest~

Here's a picture of Olympia! After she's massacred what was left of the greens and strawberries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The strawberry is beatifully prepared... humor me and leaves the green tops on... it's better for them... and I still think it's too much

Vitality

5 Year Member
It is a bit too much strawberries. Probably why the shell is shaping the way it is. I would say you should only feed it strawberries once a month.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Side question about Greek diet;

1 - How many times per day you guys feed your tortoise?

2 - I am somehow finding a hard time seaching for a greens to fed them. Is it a good idea if I feed them with mix vege from supermarket?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I feed Joe once a day, but he's free range outdoors and browses in between times. Many people feed twice a day. There's no point feeding in the evening in my opinion as your tort is likely to be sleepy and not bother.

With regard to greens, make a list of the ones that you can find outside in your yard and the ones you can buy in the supermarket then look them up in the tortoise table plant database and see which ones are good to feed. When you buy supermarket greens, just make sure you buy simething different each time so that your tort gets variety

Tirtoise Table: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Hybrid

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
I feed Joe once a day, but he's free range outdoors and browses in between times. Many people feed twice a day. There's no point feeding in the evening in my opinion as your tort is likely to be sleepy and not bother.

With regard to greens, make a list of the ones that you can find outside in your yard and the ones you can buy in the supermarket then look them up in the tortoise table plant database and see which ones are good to feed. When you buy supermarket greens, just make sure you buy simething different each time so that your tort gets variety

Tirtoise Table: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Millions of thanks, JoesMum ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
PS Buying your greens doesn't stop you picking a beautifully healthy dandelion or something when you're out... it's part of keeping tortoises. You go out to buy bread and come back with a pocket full of weeds :D

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've only had the two of them for a little less than a year :) this is only the third time they've gotten strawberries, besides they're both free range and are outside most of the time as well. I feel them greens one a day, but they mostly just graze.

They're both wild caught, so that's why their shells are shaped the way they are. Olympia has some old shell rot areas that I've had treated by the exotic vets, so I'm not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.