swirly circles

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
Hello Tortoise Forum-ers!
I was wondering if anyone knows what these swirly little circles inside the shell are..or if they are anything to be concerned about??
Thanks! :)
013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure what they are or why some torts have them. But I do know they are normal and nothing to worry about.

erinnco22

5 Year Member
Thank you! That makes me feel so much better! Honestly, I kind of like them:) just for some reason the idea of it being a fungus was worrying me

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone not too long ago had the same thing on their tort. Don't remember if it was same species, but I think so. I like them too.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
There was a discussion about this, long long ago, in an article far far away....:). Its growth. I notice it with my tortoises all the time. The amount increases substantially under varying amounts of growth. At times, you can actually estimate the growth rate of a tortoise, judging by how many circles there are....I've only done this after seeing how many there are when the tortoise is under a growth spurt, to when it is not growing much. There are few, unnoticeable white swirly circles in tortoises when tortoises are growing slowly, and when the growth accelerates, the circles appear everywhere. So it is completely natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.