Taking Tank to the vet tomorrow advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I don't no what went wrong but Tank has not pooped in over 2 weeks. I feed him a good diet and temps are fine. I have never had this happen before. I have been trying everything and decided to make the 1 1/2 hour drive to the vet tomorrow. He has been trying to go and makes a straining noise but nothing. I stopped feeding dry hay and have been feeding him greens, fresh wheat grass, cactus and pumpkin for a week. I have been giving him long soaks every day. When I take him to the vet is there any advise on what to let them do and what to say no to?? The visit is $70 and ex-rays are $150 but they are the only choice I have.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Missy said:
I don't no what went wrong but Tank has not pooped in over 2 weeks. I feed him a good diet and temps are fine. I have never had this happen before. I have been trying everything and decided to make the 1 1/2 hour drive to the vet tomorrow. He has been trying to go and makes a straining noise but nothing. I stopped feeding dry hay and have been feeding him greens, fresh wheat grass, cactus and pumpkin for a week. I have been giving him long soaks every day. When I take him to the vet is there any advise on what to let them do and what to say no to?? The visit is $70 and ex-rays are $150 but they are the only choice I have.

My guess is he is blocked up with a urate/bladder stone. :( It doesn't matter what you call it either, it's just too large and hard to pass easily. :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its good you're going to the vet. Prolonged straining could cause him to prolapse. Feeding soft foods is good. You want loose stools. But if there's a stone or blockage, that won't help. X-rays will tell for sure.

Don't allow any vitamin shots.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
I literally just went through this (See thread, "Need expert advice here, please")

After an exray, visit, all kinds of other things, got a $530 bill.

In the end, he ordered me try to feed him with olive oil to lube his intestines and help the blockage disolve. I ended up switching to mineral oil as suggested by friendly users here. He also had me give my tortoise a milk of magnesia laxative (which was a real pain in the butt! opening his mouth, while squirting it in!!!)

He pooped the day after I gave him the laxative. Pooped out a ROCK!! Since then he's been running around eating like a madman ever since!

Good luck, and as Yvonne said, don't let them give him any vitamins. They think he needs them, but it sounds as if his diet is fine!

PS, don't take any lip from him. Most vets (even the most experienced herp vets) see a tortoise with a little pyramiding as a defective item, even though we all know that isn't the case!!!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have been giving him mineral oil on his greens for a week. I will try the milk of magnesia. He is moving around pretty good and eating fine. Oh and no he is not eating it, I wish that was the case. Thanks for all the advise.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Stev0623 said:
PS, don't take any lip from him. Most vets (even the most experienced herp vets) see a tortoise with a little pyramiding as a defective item, even though we all know that isn't the case!!!

Great advice Steve-O...nothing like setting up an adversarial relationship with your veterinarian...especially considering how many are willing to actually see exotics on a regular basis. Perhaps talking intelligently about her pet and letting her vet know a thorough history, breakdown of husbandry practices and what she has already tried to rectify the situation would be more prudent and helpful in allowing the veterinarian to make an informed decision on how to best proceed.....I know that I am always very impressed with owners who speak from a knowledgeable position rather than a "KNOW-IT-ALL" position.....I always wonder (outloud and in front of the client), why the hell they came in in the first place.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
My recommendation is try to write out as much as you can before you go in. I always bring notes with me. Travelling with your pet can be stressful, especially if he is sick. It's too easy to forget the important stuff when the stress kicks in.

Is this your regular vet? Does he know you and does he know tank already? If so, then I would just make sure to bring a log of what tank has been eating lately, any changes in behavior, date of last observed bowel movement, soaking schedules, etc. Also let the doc know what you have done to try and fix the situation on your own, ie mineral oil etc.

If this is your first trip to this vet, then you should bring much more information with you. Pictures of your enclosure, growth logs, previous vet records, etc. The more info you can give your vet, the more he/she can help you and tank.

Also, if you are concerned about costs of treatment, then my advice is to just be honest and upfront about it. Know your budget going in and let the vet know what you are able and willing to spend. You can also discuss payment plan options.

Your vet wants to help your pet as much as you do.

Like I said, it can b stressful and I like notes. Bring a pen and paper and record recommendations the vet may have. It will help when you get home and actually have time to process the info.

Good luck. I hope you have a positive vet experience.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Now THAT, is some good advice!!! Thanks Rob! Interested in moving to Southeast Texas?...would LOVE to have you as a client.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
exoticsdr said:
Stev0623 said:

Great advice Steve-O...nothing like setting up an adversarial relationship with your veterinarian...especially considering how many are willing to actually see exotics on a regular basis. Perhaps talking intelligently about her pet and letting her vet know a thorough history, breakdown of husbandry practices and what she has already tried to rectify the situation would be more prudent and helpful in allowing the veterinarian to make an informed decision on how to best proceed.....I know that I am always very impressed with owners who speak from a knowledgeable position rather than a "KNOW-IT-ALL" position.....I always wonder (outloud and in front of the client), why the hell they came in in the first place.

Forgive me for being blunt about this, but I don't really give a darn if you like my post or not.

I've met 3 vets in the past year, one having (and boasting about it) over 25 years experience in the exotic industry. All of which have treated my tortoise (one actually making the comment, hence why I found a new vet) that he was defective, and beyond fixing. If you see the other post, my odie doesn't even have bad pyramiding. It's very mild actually.

I've spent months reading and learning about my animals, and treat them like a family member. Nothing agitates me more than when a vet treats them like damaged product.

2 of the 3 vets(all claiming to be experienced with retiles) I am confident I know more about sulcata's than they do.

"Wondering out loud" in front of a client is a good way to lose business.

So when you're ready to come off of your high horse and stop making sarcastic, unnecesarry comments, I'll be here, trying to help her situation and will firmly defend my point about her not taking any crap from her vet about whatever pyramiding her tort may, or may not have.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Hmmm 13 acres in Texas sounds pretty good right now! Can I visit with your torts and other animals?

In all seriousness, I do think the best veterinary cares comes from a real team approach between vet and client.

Good luck Missy. I'm sure Tank will do well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm putting on my moderator hat now:

You've both had a say. Please don't say anymore to each other. This thread is about helping Tank at the vet tomorrow. If you two want to "have at it," then take it on the PM side of the forum. Please and thank you.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Yvonne, believe me...I was done after my first reply.

CtTort...bring it on...tort lovers always welcome...and you're right, the more information you come prepared with and are able to provide, the easier it is for you and your vet to make an informed decision on the best and most realistic treatment options. Cheers my friend!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think the best advice is what was said above, write down your questions before hand, that way you are not sitting in the office trying to remember what you wanted to ask. I have had good and bad experiences with vets, the best vets IMHO will listen to what you have to say and then ask questions of their own, it may sound like they are grilling you, but they need as much info as possible to be able to offer the best help to you and your tortoise. Remember most vets are there to help, and don't be afraid of asking your own questions.

M

Maggie Cummings

I bet Tank poops on the way to the Vet...car rides always make tortoises poop. Good luck with the visit and I agree with Rob's advice, take pictures of his enclosure and write down everything you can think of. That Vet is there to help you not hurt you...please keep us posted...especially about pooping on the way there and if he does, keep it and show it to the Vet. :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Maggie, that's cute....kinda like driving your kids around the block when they are babies to get them to go to sleep!

Missy, I hope all goes well at the vet!!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's so true maggie3fan. The car ride is just like a diuretic (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.