Hatchling won't eat! Please advise

Trumansmom

I just got a sulcate hatchling for Christmas (12/27). I have yet to see him (it) eat (12/31) He is in a 55 gallon aquarium and the temp is about 80 degrees ( on the warm side). I soak him every morning and twice a day give him a fresh plate of spring mix with repti calcium sprinkled on it. I have tried just giving him spring mix with out the calcium but he still have zero interest. I count how many pieces/leaves of the spring mix I am giving him and not one piece even seems to have a bite missing. According to the pet store, he had no issues eating for them ( I am feeding the exact same thing). his first vet visit is next week. Please advise on what I should do in the mean time. Thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just got a sulcate hatchling for Christmas (12/27). I have yet to see him (it) eat (12/31) He is in a 55 gallon aquarium and the temp is about 80 degrees ( on the warm side). I soak him every morning and twice a day give him a fresh plate of spring mix with repti calcium sprinkled on it. I have tried just giving him spring mix with out the calcium but he still have zero interest. I count how many pieces/leaves of the spring mix I am giving him and not one piece even seems to have a bite missing. According to the pet store, he had no issues eating for them ( I am feeding the exact same thing). his first vet visit is next week. Please advise on what I should do in the mean time. Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome.

It sounds like your temperatures are too cool. They won't eat if they can't warm up. This is a topical species and they need it warm day and night. The cool side should never drop below 80, day or night. The basking area directly under the bulb needs to be around 100.

Unfortunately, most of the info that is out in the world for sulcatas is old, out-dated, based on incorrect assumptions and wrong. Pet stores typically sell the wrong products and give terrible advice. Vets often know nothing about tortoise care and will go in the back, read something out of a hand book or vet website and then come back into the exam room and recommend a "vitamin injection". If this happens, you should politely decline and leave. What you have there is likely a husbandry issue and there is not likely to be anything a vet can do about it.
Read these and then make the adjustments to your enclosure and equipment. Once the environment is correct, the appetite should come back.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. Make the adjustments, be sure to add the humidity need that will be in the caresheets and give him some adjustment time to get used to his new environment. If the changes make things better for him and he does start to eat, I personally would hold off on the vet visit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And if the pet store sold you a compact fluorescent bulb for UVB, discard it immediately. Those bulbs can harm baby tortoise's eyes.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum! It's so much fun raising a baby tortoise. Let us give you the first hand info you'll need for him to grow healthy and LARGE!

Trumansmom

Sorry for the poor quality photo. I've been reading tons of care sheets. All are different of course.

Trumansmom

Hello and welcome.

It sounds like your temperatures are too cool. They won't eat if they can't warm up. This is a topical species and they need it warm day and night. The cool side should never drop below 80, day or night. The basking area directly under the bulb needs to be around 100.

Unfortunately, most of the info that is out in the world for sulcatas is old, out-dated, based on incorrect assumptions and wrong. Pet stores typically sell the wrong products and give terrible advice. Vets often know nothing about tortoise care and will go in the back, read something out of a hand book or vet website and then come back into the exam room and recommend a "vitamin injection". If this happens, you should politely decline and leave. What you have there is likely a husbandry issue and there is not likely to be anything a vet can do about it.
Read these and then make the adjustments to your enclosure and equipment. Once the environment is correct, the appetite should come back.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

The vet I chose is an exotic vet that has a sulcata himself. I actually made the appointment prior to seeing the tort isn't eating. I'll Def make sure I don't give unnecessary treatment! Thanks for the heads up on the injection.

Trumansmom

And if the pet store sold you a compact fluorescent bulb for UVB, discard it immediately. Those bulbs can harm baby tortoise's eyes.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum! It's so much fun raising a baby tortoise. Let us give you the first hand info you'll need for him to grow healthy and LARGE!

I have repti glo 10.0 uvb

Trumansmom

I agree with Tom. Make the adjustments, be sure to add the humidity need that will be in the caresheets and give him some adjustment time to get used to his new environment. If the changes make things better for him and he does start to eat, I personally would hold off on the vet visit.

How long do sulcata hatchlings usually wait to eat between meals? How long should I wait before taking the next step at the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your habitat is very boring, and to a baby prey animal, very scary! Try to imagine what a baby tortoise lives in in the real world. Since he is prey, he's never out in the open, like you are forcing your baby to be. He needs a couple hiding places and maybe a few plants so he's not so out in the open. Also, the plants will diffuse some of the harsh lighting for his comfort.

It's better to use clay plant saucers instead of those pre-made feeders and waterers. When you sink the clay saucers down into the substrate, the just stretch their neck out and down to eat or drink. Those bowls make him have to stretch up, over, and down. This is not an easy feat for an animal living in a shell. Also, when he gets into the clay saucer, he can climb back out easily because of the sloped sides, whereas in your dishes, the sides are straight up and down and could cause him to overbalance when climbing out and he'll tip over backwards.

So you can see, after you've added plants, hiding places and saucers, your little aquarium is not nearly big enough.

I have baby desert tortoises set up like this:

baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 a.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you make all the changes and he doesn't seem to get any better or eat, then keep the appointment. I think though, if you make all the needed changes, you will see changes.
Don't get discouraged. Once it gets right, it does get a little easier. Unfortunately, the people that start out getting wrong info, have a lot of changes to make right after they just set everything up.