Tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I've always wanted to get one but I always worry about what it will look like when I am 80, You know get a tiny russian tat when you are 30 and then it will be a giant galapagos, when you are 80

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
finleafeater said:
Picture0143.jpg

best friend tattoo, inside joke.

LOL is that her ring finger?? Does any guy who want s to marry her have to pay 1000$ first :p

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
finleafeater said:
it IS real, I just got it.. thats why it looks fake.

Its on my right ring finger. Its a best friend tattoo, when we were kids we bet eachother a massive amount of money ($1000 dollars is a lot to a kid) that who ever go married first.. the other would have to pay them $1000 dollars. Kind of like a race to the alter.. because when youre young and trying to be a princess you need a prince of course.

now our views have on marriage have change quite a bit, but we always get a good laugh out of that little bet.
and it seemed more unique than getting eachothers names tattooed on eachother.

best friends, 11 years and counting!

Oh I believe it's real! They all kinda look fake at first. Cute story to go along with it

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My tattoo artist just emailed me and has to reschedule our appointment :( She's out of town with car trouble. I'm so bummed! Is it a sign that I shouldn't get one?! :p
Whatever, I'm rescheduling for next week :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
I've always wanted to get one but I always worry about what it will look like when I am 80, You know get a tiny russian tat when you are 30 and then it will be a giant galapagos, when you are 80

LOL....

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:

I used to think that but honestly...I'm not planning on having to impress anyone or any ladies at age 80 lol

xxflowersxx

5 Year Member
South Jersey
I have a total of 7 tattoos. I don't regret any of them. I have have a lip tattoo that says "PLAY" I don't have a good pic of it though. My friend got "KID" and I got "PLAY" House Party anyone??

I'll post in the order that I got them.

stars.jpg

The stars were my first. (18th birthday)

hearttattoo.jpg

sacred heart (at age 19)

leg1.jpg

flower w/quote & vines. It also says "Peace, Love, Unity" on the back of my calf (right after I got home from Iraq, age 21)

wrist.jpg

diamond (age 22)

foots.jpg

gypsy (age 23)

sleeve.jpg

calf sleeve (esao andrews art, age 25, in progress)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I like the vine. I thought about getting my kids birthstones, but now I want their birth flowers. Tatts have to have real meaning to me.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Here is one of my hubby's ... Its me, lol. Luckily he chose an old photo of me for the tattooist to copy. Cant see it real well but its the best shot I could find. He has 3 others but no pics of them. They are Marine Corp tats he got over seas.
Picture.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Debbie I love them!! Great tattoos.
And Yvie that picture is adorable and the tattoo looks great. You were/are gorgeous!

I'm hopefully getting mine done on Friday, woo!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I got it!!! I only have a crappy picture of it with the plastic wrap on :p I'll post a picture after I clean it tomorrow.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Or I'll just post the crappy picture ;)
IMG_1662a.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very cool Katie, but I can't tell wehere it is. Is that your side?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Rib cage. The purple band is my bikini top. I wore that so we could figure out placement, since that's what I'll be wearing when it's exposed to the public :p

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
CtTortoise said:
Cfr200 said:
I would not say body art or piercings are becoming more acceptable everywhere a lot of that depends on your location and your job. The problem you will run into is the older people like me who own a business do the hiring and are the customers they might have a different perspective on this.....

I would still follow the rules my mother told me over 30 years ago. It was do not get ones that show when you don't want them to and do not get anyones name. Which in my case meant nothing that show in a short sleeve shirt or while wearing my uniform.

As a guy who spends 80%+ of my time doing everything I can to cover up the tattoos I got over 10 years ago, I agree with this post.

Sleeves are a tough thing to deal with, and were a huge mistake. I gave up all of the "I don't care what The Man thinks, I'm going to express myself however I want" BS years ago. It's crazy how raising a family, providing for children, caring for patients, etc will change your views on something as silly as a tattoo. When a parent at the park gives you that nervous look because you are playing with your child close too their child, you start to realize how decisions about things like body art can effect your life, and the lives of those you care about, in ways you never expected. I don't care what they think about me, but how many times have my kids missed a chance to make a friend at the park because of my tattoos?

Clients, customers, friends, your child's teachers, the parents of the other kids on the soccer team you coach, etc will all judge you no matter what you think. You can easily end up in an uphill battle to "prove" that, despite your tattoos, you really are a nice guy/girl. People often say to me, "Now that I know you I've got to say, you don't seem like the type of person that would get all of those tattoos!". They mean it as a compliment, I'm sure.

I now work in an operating room. I am forced to wear short sleeved scrubs per hospital policy. When I meet my surgeon customers, I am usually in a jacket and tie in their office. It is always a struggle knowing that when I see them in the OR I am going to have to explain my tattoos. All too often, I am greeted with a horrifying look of disgust and disappointment. This is after having spent the previous night worrying about it. (Neurosurgeons tend to be of an older breed!). It is an uphill battle to prove myself to these customers. My competitors use it against me. I've heard the comment in the OR, "Wow is (company x) now involved in a work release program?". Surgeons don't like to be associated with those kinds of comments, and so I am vulnerable to loss of business.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs of any kind. I don't cheat on my wife or gamble away my paychecks. I have competitors in business who do all of these things, yet none of that shows when you are wearing scrubs! I'm the one getting the strange looks and running against the stream just to catch up to guys who engage in these behaviors all the time.

When I got my tattoos I worked in the field of photography and digital manipulation/restoration. That world was filled with body art. My point is, where you are today may not be where you are tomorrow. You never know where life will take you and you need to be able to adapt. Tattoos can be a difficult thing to manage when making career moves or other life changes.

I'm not against tattoos. I actually quite like them. I don't hate my tattoos, I just wish I could choose when to wear them and when to take them off. People tend to look at you funny when you show up to coach your kids soccer team and you are wearing a long sleeved shirt when it is 90 degrees outside!

18, 21, 25.... I don't think there is any magic age. People change at different points in their life. People change, but tattoos don't.

My suggestion for anyone who wants to get a visible tattoo: print out a picture of the tattoo you want to get and have it laminated. Carry it around with you for one year. Pin it on your shirt. If at any time during that one year, you encounter even a single person or a single situation which makes you want to take the picture off of your shirt...... Reconsider the tattoo or at least the location.

This is why I have never gotten one and I admire greatly my friend Rob for dealing with his choices.....I would hope that surgeons today would be able to look past the packaging and look at the contents. IF I were to get one, and I have thought of it...it would have to be something that I feel a true passion about....a veterinary caduceus, or perhaps the names of my children and grandchildren in a family tree matrix....

Wirewehear said:
Here is one of my hubby's ... Its me, lol. Luckily he chose an old photo of me for the tattooist to copy. Cant see it real well but its the best shot I could find. He has 3 others but no pics of them. They are Marine Corp tats he got over seas.
Picture.jpg

you are very pretty, tell your hubby "Thank you for serving" and love the dog.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Ok, no one else did it so I had to! This is the SNL sketch.

http://www.bofunk.com/video/2195/tattoo_removal.html

Edna= no tattoos, no piercings outside of my ear lobes. One of my teachers friends just took the plunge and got her first tattoo. She was thinking that her Zodiak sign would be a safe choice, so that's what she got. As soon as she got it done, she saw the story about proposed changes to the Zodiak signs, and as you could have guessed, she would no longer be the same sign. Hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.