Tempreture issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tort1

5 Year Member
Hi im new here and im also new to tortoises. Ive wanted a tortoise for a while now but im currently studying up on hoe to care for one. I live in england and as many people know its very cold hear even in the daytime. Im planing on getting a sulcata but im not sure what happens if it is not kept at the right tempreture in the morning. I know it needs to eat lawn grass but im n ot sure how it can do that when its body is 15 degrees below the average. during the summer it does get hot but not as hot as africa where it comes from. any advice on heating during morning and night. Thanks :tort:.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome Tort1!!!! So glad to see you're doing your research. Tortoises make awesome pets. :)

Sulcatas don't do well in cold weather. One option is to get it a heated shed or dog house to keep it warm on colder days.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum! You want to make sure you dont let your Sulcata get to cold. I made that mistake when Cooper was around 6 or 7 months and he got a URI. Then I had to take him to the vet and he had to get 5 shots, 1 every other day in the front legs. He did recover just fine. But it should have never happend to start with. Not to mention the vet bill was over $300. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.