Tense legs when he urinates??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

I spoke again with the vet today regarding Hermy's condition, I still see a redish color in his urine and he still stretching his legs like crazy when he urinates. The vet told me he was not sure if the leg thing was normal or not but he told me that if I could find out it would really be helpful. So please, could you tell me if your tortoises (I have a Hermann or any other species) stretch their legs when they urinate (their legs become all tense?) or if they dont do anything at all with their legs?

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have noticed that when my tortoises (redfoots, Ally and Stella)"go" they kind of pull their heads in a little and get still, but nothing about the legs specifically. I haven't had my torts long, but from what your describing,if it's different from the norm, I wonder if it hurts to urinate? Just a thought. Jennifer

Isa said:
Hello

I spoke again with the vet today regarding Hermy's condition, I still see a redish color in his urine and he still stretching his legs like crazy when he urinates. The vet told me he was not sure if the leg thing was normal or not but he told me that if I could find out it would really be helpful. So please, could you tell me if your tortoises (I have a Hermann or any other species) stretch their legs when they urinate (their legs become all tense?) or if they dont do anything at all with their legs?

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
I can only tell you that Peb stretches his legs out and lifts his butt up really high, the tail wiggles and goes wee wee!! lol It's kinda funny... almost like he doesn't want to be sitting/standing in it afterwards.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
I can only tell you that Peb stretches his legs out and lifts his butt up really high, the tail wiggles and goes wee wee!! lol It's kinda funny... almost like he doesn't want to be sitting/standing in it afterwards.

Thanks for your answer Jen and Pebblesmom :)

Pebblesmom, that's what Hermy does!!! Does Pebbles streches his legs a lot? Hermy does that for like maybe 5 seconds.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Oh, I don't know if I would say alot. They do stretch when he is climbing the rocks or whatever ... nothing that looks un-natural. Maybe that's why I call it a HE, gotta stand when peeing .. hee hee hee

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Bowser will stretch his legs to get his butt off the ground before he goes. If I have him in the living room with us, it's a helpful way to know that he has to go. I will have enough time to get him into his own area so he can go there (and not on my carpet). ;)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
Oh, I don't know if I would say alot. They do stretch when he is climbing the rocks or whatever ... nothing that looks un-natural. Maybe that's why I call it a HE, gotta stand when peeing .. hee hee hee

Thanks Pebblesmom :) I am not sure but it looks like what Hermy does.

drgnfly2265 said:
Bowser will stretch his legs to get his butt off the ground before he goes. If I have him in the living room with us, it's a helpful way to know that he has to go. I will have enough time to get him into his own area so he can go there (and not on my carpet). ;)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Thanks Jamie,
I feel better now that I know Hermy is not the only one that does that :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
wizzasmum said:
That is perfectly normal for a hermanns. Red urine can be caused by eating dandelions.

Thanks Sue, the problem is Hermy's urine is redish even if I did not give him dandelions for weeks.

I have to bring a urine sample to the vet on saturday and next thursday, Hermy has an appointment for a blood test.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
wizzasmum said:
Isa said:
wizzasmum said:
That is perfectly normal for a hermanns. Red urine can be caused by eating dandelions.

Thanks Sue, the problem is Hermy's urine is redish even if I did not give him dandelions for weeks.

I have to bring a urine sample to the vet on saturday and next thursday, Hermy has an appointment for a blood test.

Good luck, hopefully it will be just plant related. Does he have a lot of just one food type at all?

Thanks Sue
I feed him endive,escarole,chicory,mache,watercress,collard greens, kale, carrots (once in a while), spring mix.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
wizzasmum said:
If he is eating normally, lets hope it is just natural staining. I see this is a few of my torts in the spring. Extra hydration seems to go a fair way to preventing this in my experience ;)

Thanks Sue
The vet called me on saturday and told me the urine analisys is not enough, so he sent the urine for a culture.
I will have to wait till thursday to know the resust. The vet told me that if he sees an infection he will give Hermy some more antibiotic. If it is the case, I wont give hermy the antibiotic right away, I will go to another rep vet for another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.