Teramycin Powder

Pippen's Pal

Location (City and/or State)
Port Elizabeth South Africa
I don't know how unpalatable that medication will be but maybe you can get him to eat it on his own.

Do you have access to spineless cactus pads there, if yes does he enjoy eating them?
True. The tetracycline paste tastes gross, highly unpalatable to me. I was curious to 🤷🏻‍♀️ I regularly feed the Leopards cactus pads that I've cleaned of all the spikes. There are several sites that I go harvest cactus from because they love it so much.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
True. The tetracycline paste tastes gross, highly unpalatable to me. I was curious to 🤷🏻‍♀️ I regularly feed the Leopards cactus pads that I've cleaned of all the spikes. There are several sites that I go harvest cactus from because they love it so much.
You can try to hide it inside of a cactus pad like this.

IMG_6186.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My vet said it is not the right antibiotic for mycoplasma. I have used Taziject before, the vet gave me a prescription that could only be filled by our hospital. Had to be reconstituted with saline solution.
Your Vet can say what they want...I used Terramycin powder on my tortoise who carries mycoplasma for 15 to 20 years...he is healthy and all symptoms of URTI are gone...it is my personal experience that terramycin works on mycoplasma, and Yvonne will tell you the same thing, has used terramycin powder also...it does the job...sorry I don't have a degree in anything, but I have my years of experience...I told you what has worked in my experience...also Baytril is an awful medicine to give a tortoise...if you are going to pay a Veterinarian they should know this about Baytril...use Fortaz or the terramycin powder like I said in the beginning...

Pippen's Pal

Your Vet can say what they want...I used Terramycin powder on my tortoise who carries mycoplasma for 15 to 20 years...he is healthy and all symptoms of URTI are gone...it is my personal experience that terramycin works on mycoplasma, and Yvonne will tell you the same thing, has used terramycin powder also...it does the job...sorry I don't have a degree in anything, but I have my years of experience...I told you what has worked in my experience...also Baytril is an awful medicine to give a tortoise...if you are going to pay a Veterinarian they should know this about Baytril...use Fortaz or the terramycin powder like I said in the beginning...
Maybe if you read all the posts where I've stated that We Cannot Get The Powder Here, you may understand why the vet has recommended the paste. I've also stated that Pippen is a 17kg, 47cm long, 34cm wide Leopard Tortoise and the dosgae of the powder, If It Was Available, would be about 35g daily in 30L of water. I can't make it any clearer. Baytril has it's place. Again, as previously explained, I haved used it as an injectable diluted with sterile water. I didnt join this forum to debate, I joined for advice, don't be offended if I can't or don't follow yours. I am working with what I have available. Follow.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Maybe if you read all the posts where I've stated that We Cannot Get The Powder Here, you may understand why the vet has recommended the paste. I've also stated that Pippen is a 17kg, 47cm long, 34cm wide Leopard Tortoise and the dosgae of the powder, If It Was Available, would be about 35g daily in 30L of water. I can't make it any clearer. Baytril has it's place. Again, as previously explained, I haved used it as an injectable diluted with sterile water. I didnt join this forum to debate, I joined for advice, don't be offended if I can't or don't follow yours. I am working with what I have available. Follow.
Sorry I wasn't debating, and I have read all the posts...I'm sorry if you took me wrong...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I don't remember the info I read, but something like, limp, lifeless, sometimes eventually dead.
i was wondering what were this tortoises signs of an allergic reaction, and if the nasal flush with baytril had any reaction?
Your Vet can say what they want...I used Terramycin powder on my tortoise who carries mycoplasma for 15 to 20 years...
Maggie i believe their vet said taziject was the wrong antibiotic ? terramycin is oxytetracycline, that is known to be effective on mycoplasma infections ...... taziject i believe is ceftazidime , that is ineffective on mycoplasma infections....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i was wondering what were this tortoises signs of an allergic reaction, and if the nasal flush with baytril had any reaction?

Maggie i believe their vet said taziject was the wrong antibiotic ? terramycin is oxytetracycline, that is known to be effective on mycoplasma infections ...... taziject i believe is ceftazidime , that is ineffective on mycoplasma infections....
Yes, that's what I meant. The leopard tortoise I read about became limp after being injected with Baytril and eventually died. And then the owner was made aware of the fact Baytril shouldn't be used on leopards.

Pippen's Pal

Maggie i believe their vet said taziject was the wrong antibiotic ? terramycin is oxytetracycline, that is known to be effective on mycoplasma infections ...... taziject i believe is ceftazidime , that is ineffective
Yes, that's what I meant. The leopard tortoise I read about became limp after being injected with Baytril and eventually died. And then the owner was made aware of the fact Baytril shouldn't be used on leopards.
His reaction, he became very agitated, neck stretching, retracting his head fast as though he was trying to dislodge something in his throat, then he went limp. I thought he was dying. His breathing stayed shallow right through the night and he didn't move the next day. Not all Leopards are allergic, but I woldn't risk it again. The nasal flushing was also stopped, but he didn't show any visible reaction. The vet administered the baytril subcut and Pip reacted about 20-30 later, after I got him home.

I don't remember the info I read, but something like, limp, lifeless, sometimes eventually dead.

JeffR

Sacramento
My vet said it is not the right antibiotic for mycoplasma. I have used Taziject before, the vet gave me a prescription that could only be filled by our hospital. Had to be reconstituted with saline solution.
Cefalosporims and penicillins all work on the bacteria’s cell wall. Mycoplasma does not have a cell wall. Fortaz is a beast of an antibiotic and covers most bacteria just not mycoplasma.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
too bad as baytril is the most proven method of dealing with this problem.......... terramycin (oxytetracycline) comes as an injectable..... did your vet tell you oxytetracycline was not available in your country ? it's pretty commonly used in sheep, pigs, cattle, and is used in reptiles on mycoplasma infections....

Pippen's Pal

too bad as baytril is the most proven method of dealing with this problem.......... terramycin (oxytetracycline) comes as an injectable..... did your vet tell you oxytetracycline was not available in your country ? it's pretty commonly used in sheep, pigs, cattle, and is used in reptiles on mycoplasma infections....
He said the the dosage / volume I'd need for Pip was not practical and it would be daily shots for at least 45 days.

Pippen's Pal

He said the the dosage / volume I'd need for Pip was not practical an it would be daily shots for at least 45 days.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
do you know what dosage your vet said it would take?

MERK veterinary manual says the dose for an alligator with mycoplasmosis is 10mg/kg every 4-5 days ......

i have a pdf where they describe using it on sea turtles at 20-40mg/kg after an initial dose of 40-80mg/kg every 3 days.... , my math may be off , but even at 80mg/kg an 18kg tortoise dose would be 1.5 ml , wouldn't it ?

vetkey suggest 5-10mg/kg every 24hrs for tortoises with mycoplasma ?

Pippen's Pal

MERK veterinary manual says the dose for an alligator with mycoplasmosis is 10mg/kg every 4-5 days ......

i have a pdf where they describe using it on sea turtles at 20-40mg/kg after an initial dose of 40-80mg/kg every 3 days.... , my math may be off , but even at 80mg/kg an 18kg tortoise dose would be 1.5 ml , wouldn't it ?

Thank you Mark! I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Pippen's Pal

How long would the course be?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I am confused. What exactly are you asking for help with? You have the medication that your vet suggested and they didn't tell you how to use it? Are you asking if you should use something else?

Pippen's Pal

I am confused. What exactly are you asking for help with? You have the medication that your vet suggested and they didn't tell you how to use it? Are you asking if you should use something else?
I am asking what the duration of a course of injectable oxy is, future reference. If I have an alternative to Baytril and it is available and has minimal risk of adverse reactions in Leopard Tortoises, I want to know how it is used for any others that come in. Pip has already started on his tetracycline oral Paste, which I put inside a hollowed out cherry tomato, last night in a hollowed-out chunk of baby marrow. He didn't go for the cactus I spread the paste on, so I'm guessing the smell of the medicine is stronger than the smell of the cactus. I am not going to break the current course and start on something else; he has already started to go into his slow-mode with the cooler weather that has started at night.

Pippen's Pal

I am asking what the duration of a course of injectable oxy is, future reference. If I have an alternative to Baytril and it is available and has minimal risk of adverse reactions in Leopard Tortoises, I want to know how it is used for any others that come in. Pip has already started on his tetracycline oral Paste, which I put inside a hollowed out cherry tomato, last night in a hollowed-out chunk of baby marrow. He didn't go for the cactus I spread the paste on, so I'm guessing the smell of the medicine is stronger than the smell of the cactus. I am not going to break the current course and start on something else; he has already started to go into his slow-mode with the cooler weather that has started at night.
dd33 do you know how long the course duration for the injectable oxytet would be please?