Terrarium ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda

5 Year Member
So my husband and I are planning our tank and I have done all the research and know all the options for substrate. However He was wondering why you couldn't grow grass in your tank. I realize you need a place for them to burrow down, like a spot of dirt and/or moss but I had no idea how to answer his question. Anyone have any information?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Well first of all, I wouldn't suggest a tank. Torts can't really distinguish the glass from what's real. It's like invisible force field. They can hurt themselves. I learned the hard way. Probably get a table would be a better choice. Look up enclosure in this forums for better ideas.

Now to get to your question. You can plant them else where and then transfer it on the enclosure. Just make sure you have enough so you can rotate them. That's what I do. =}

panda

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help. Ill definitely keep that in mind. We wanted to start out with a terrarium for now until we are able to build a table. My husband is extremely excited to build it and really so am I.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can I ask what size tort you are planning to get and what species? This affects what you do with the enclosure.

panda

5 Year Member
We are looking for a hermann. I'm just looking to see what info I can find in the enclosure forum. Any advice would be awesome. We were kinda thinking we might try and make it a kind of Eco system that the tort can live in and then transfer to a table later making it bigger and better :)

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO

panda

5 Year Member
That's a really good idea. I wouldn't be wasting money because the tank is being given to me free. It's a tank with doors on the front and used to house a bearded dragon. I'm pretty sure it's a 50 gallon tank too.

Status
Not open for further replies.