Terrarium Sphangnum Moss

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hey is this moss safe for consumption? My tort keeps nibbling it.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Sphagnum moss is not toxic but may cause impaction. Dried sphagnum moss is more likely to cause problems than live.
I do not know of any moss that is toxic from what I have been able to research.
Some members harvest moss that grows wild in their region. There has been debate on whether or not all live mosses are a risk for impaction.. I use a short growing moss in my enclosure that I harvest myself. I inspect my torts poop daily for signs of possible issues. So far only healthy poop.

Basically- use moss with caution.

Destben

Kansas
Sphagnum moss is not toxic but may cause impaction. Dried sphagnum moss is more likely to cause problems than live.
I do not know of any moss that is toxic from what I have been able to research.
Some members harvest moss that grows wild in their region. There has been debate on whether or not all live mosses are a risk for impaction.. I use a short growing moss in my enclosure that I harvest myself. I inspect my torts poop daily for signs of possible issues. So far only healthy poop.

Basically- use moss with caution.

Thank you. Can you recommend something besides moss to keep the humidity? My repti fogger just broke down and I’m not really wanting to take the chance with the moss anymore because I did find it in my torts poop once a couple months back.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions.
If your struggling to maintain humidity you may not have enough water in your substrate or gaps in your enclosure. Many of us never use foggers or misters to increase humidity. Would you like us to take a look at your enclosure to make suggestions? If I remember correctly, it's a lovely setup you have for your little leopard.

Destben

Kansas
I'm afraid that I don't have any suggestions.
If your struggling to maintain humidity you may not have enough water in your substrate or gaps in your enclosure. Many of us never use foggers or misters to increase humidity. Would you like us to take a look at your enclosure to make suggestions? If I remember correctly, it's a lovely setup you have for your little leopard.

IMG_1517356943.058064.jpgIMG_1517356966.264509.jpg
The temp is 87F (because the power went out the other day I increased it so my tort wouldn’t develop and RI) and the humidity is 80% I just put the moss in an hour ago but she has had some in each hide for months. It’s an enclosed chamber.

Destben

Kansas
View attachment 229082View attachment 229083
The temp is 87F (because the power went out the other day I increased it so my tort wouldn’t develop and RI) and the humidity is 80% I just put the moss in an hour ago but she has had some in each hide for months. It’s an enclosed chamber.

I think your probably right about the water. How much should I be putting in the substrate?

Bambam1989

East Texas
80% is pretty good, if you want it a little higher you could add some more water to the substrate. Although that will probably only bump it up a little. Don't forget to check the ferns, they may need watered. (I forgot to water a plant that was close to the basking light.. it almost died)
What percentage would you prefer?

Destben

Kansas
80% is pretty good, if you want it a little higher you could add some more water to the substrate. Although that will probably only bump it up a little. Don't forget to check the ferns, they may need watered. (I forgot to water a plant that was close to the basking light.. it almost died)
What percentage would you prefer?

80% is fine for me I keep the humid hide at 99% most of the time. I’m just worried about impaction because my tort likes eat anything that is recommend apparently [emoji849]. She loved eating eco earth too. I was told it might be lack of calcium & vitamins but she gets that a couple times a week, mazuri most of the week, and has a turtle bone. So I can’t imagine that’s it.

Bambam1989

East Texas
It's probably just the instinct to graze. I have food in about three different spots in the enclosure and my lil tort takes a few bites from one spot then walks to the next and repeats.. walk eat walk eat.
You may try setting up other food stations. It may satisfy the need to graze. Or your little one just likes to eat naughty things.

Destben

Kansas
It's probably just the instinct to graze. I have food in about three different spots in the enclosure and my lil tort takes a few bites from one spot then walks to the next and repeats.. walk eat walk eat.
You may try setting up other food stations. It may satisfy the need to graze. Or your little one just likes to eat naughty things.

That’s a good idea thank you! I will start putting food on the basking rocks too. Since they are on different sides of the enclosure. She spends most of her time sleeping but I think that’s because she’s been rapidly growing since I got her.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hope this helps. My sulcata sleeps alot too. If he is not stomping around eating then he is passed out somewhere. I'm ready for the weather to warm up so he can spend some time outside.

Destben

Kansas
Hope this helps. My sulcata sleeps alot too. If he is not stomping around eating then he is passed out somewhere. I'm ready for the weather to warm up so he can spend some time outside.

It was very helpful thank you! And I can’t wait for it to get warm too Torterra was way to little last year but I’m going to make a part time out door covered enclosure for her to get some natural light in she’s never been outside unless I was holding her but I’m sure she would go crazy.