The exterminator screwed up...now what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
When I came home today my neighbor was upset because she had hired an exterminator to come spray around her house for ants. He made a mistake and went to my house instead!

My little Motara is only about 3 months old and we have an enclosure outside that she goes in for her outside time. We have planted some of the tortoise grazing seeds from carolinasupply in there and it has just started growing. Of course it is right up next to the house right where this guy sprayed his poison!!!

So now what do I do? Can I spray the grass enough to get rid of the poison or what? He said it wasn't like he sprayed it right on the grass but there is no way that some of it didn't land on the grass.

Why can't people find a better way to handle bugs?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry this happened to you. I was wondering why people don't look at their paperwork and addresses before they start such a job. :( I would not put your little guy anywhere near there for quite some time. I would never trust what that guy said. I would definitely move his enclosure if I could and not let him eat anything in there, but that's just me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope your tort wasnt outside at the time..
I'd call the company and see what was used and what they recommend.
Some of that stuff is supposed to be kid and pet safe..
but torts are more sensitive..

M

Maggie Cummings

I would not only call them to see what they used, but I would raise a big stink and make them responsible for making your yard tort safe again. No matter what they tell you, *I* will tell you that tortoises are extremely sensitive to poisons and I would move his enclosure away from the sprayed area and dig up CPS seeds and throw them away. I'd make that company pay for more seeds and start all over. It is their responsibility to make this right for you. But they won't if you don't complain...

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
No luckily she wasn't in there when he sprayed.

Not only were they arguing with me that the poison was pet safe, they even said I should pay THEM for the service. After that I asked to speak to the supervisor who tried to convince me that it shouldn't hurt her at all and he was very sorry. Blah blah blah

I informed him that the reason they didn't spray my house was because I don't believe anyone (including pets) should be around that stuff and I needed the area replaced since it was their screw up. He said he would see what they could do, but I wont hold my breath.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Motara said:
No luckily she wasn't in there when he sprayed.

Not only were they arguing with me that the poison was pet safe, they even said I should pay THEM for the service. After that I asked to speak to the supervisor who tried to convince me that it shouldn't hurt her at all and he was very sorry. Blah blah blah

I informed him that the reason they didn't spray my house was because I don't believe anyone (including pets) should be around that stuff and I needed the area replaced since it was their screw up. He said he would see what they could do, but I wont hold my breath.

Them spraying your yard without your consent, even if it was an accident, makes them 100% liable. So don't give up on the fight, and keep talking to the higher ups.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Candy said:
I'm sorry this happened to you. I was wondering why people don't look at their paperwork and addresses before they start such a job. :( I would not put your little guy anywhere near there for quite some time. I would never trust what that guy said. I would definitely move his enclosure if I could and not let him eat anything in there, but that's just me.
maggie3fan said:
I would not only call them to see what they used, but I would raise a big stink and make them responsible for making your yard tort safe again. No matter what they tell you, *I* will tell you that tortoises are extremely sensitive to poisons and I would move his enclosure away from the sprayed area and dig up CPS seeds and throw them away. I'd make that company pay for more seeds and start all over. It is their responsibility to make this right for you. But they won't if you don't complain...

100% agreement!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Good grief! Thank goodness Motara wasn't outside in the cloud of fumes...you'd think they could do the right thing and spend the $100 bucks or so pulling out the grass near the spray area and reseeding it for you.

I accidentally let one of our cats be exposed to a bedbug bomb I set off in my daughter's room last winter (she brought them home from her college apartment, natch) when Milo was hiding under the bed and I didn't see him. I was hysterical when I came home later and heard him meowing in that tightly sealed room...I was sure I'd killed him and would have to watch him die a painful death...the vet said the poison used was the same stuff people dip their animals in for flees, so that his exposure was not dangerous (we gave him a thorough soapy bath for his punishment). Still, I don't think you'd want Motara eating the exposed grass and plants now...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Find out who licensed the company and go to the that agency with the complant if you have to. I believe most areas require licensing of pest controllers. The bottom line is they are respondisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.