The price of beef is crazy

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was googling a steakhouse nearby for a nice Friday night dinner. One that had good ratings and wasn't a chain restaurant.
What I saw shocked me:
A Tomahawk steak is $180. With no sides.
The Porterhouse was one hundred plus.
We can't talk politics on this forum. But I'm just saying.....I don't think there's a cow shortage.
So, Longhorn it is.
I'm glad I'm not dating anymore!
To me. It looks like $60-$70

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231215_202041_Yelp.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_202041_Yelp.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I LOVE beef....so I try lots of places and I'm kind of current with pricing. There is no shortage.

Currently I order my beef from wildforkfoods.com. We had a USDA Prime standing rib roast at Thanksgiving, today it is the same price. The USDA prime steaks are usually around 15 per lb....same price.

I think what you are seeing is that the cost of Prepared food skyrocketed. As I predicted,"15" doubled prices. We don't pay for their mistakes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Prices of everything is ridiculous. I very seldom look at prices. If I need it, I just get it. The only items I will shop around for is wants.
Before COVID I used to get a cart full of groceries for under a hundred bucks. Now half a cart full is over hundred bucks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few years ago I bought Omaha Steak packages for a few of my family members for Christmas. I paid in the neighborhood of $50 for a quite nice selection. So this year I shopped their catalog again. Even with their Senior discount or other discounts the going price for the packages I liked was upwards of $150. Needless to say, my family is NOT getting Omaha Steaks for Christmas this year.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Prices of everything is ridiculous. I very seldom look at prices. If I need it, I just get it. The only items I will shop around for is wants.
Before COVID I used to get a cart full of groceries for under a hundred bucks. Now half a cart full is over hundred bucks.
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF COWS ... just common financial sense. Here in California next year all fast food workers START at $20 an hour, all medical workers START at $25 an hour. Right now a Big Mac Meal is $17, wait till Jan 1 and it will be $20 .. for the small size. In the med field even the janitors at med facility's will be paid $25+ an hour. Whats this going to do to already outrageous Medical bills. I live VERY rural, my local gas station (25 miles away) is at least 75 cents over what you pay in the big towns. Bakersfield CA has the biggest swing of gas prices in the USA. You can pump gas at one station and across the street it's 1 dollar more, no sh!t. Gas prices will fall 20 - 50 cents in town but by me the price will not change ......Huh weird. Tourism. It's 16 miles to get my mail, it's 60+ miles to take my daughter to practice, my cardiac appt. this week was a 220 mile drive. I am barely staying afloat with gas so steak houses are OUT of the realm of possibility for my family.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Burger Prices to Remain High as Cattle Ranchers Shrink Herds
May 28, 2022

Steak and burgers cost more these days. Drought may keep prices high for years.
Aug 1, 2022

Is a meat recession coming?
Experts predict prices will be elevated well into the first half of 2024
November 1, 2022

Calf prices strengthen, cattle herd shrinking
Feb. 28, 2023

Why Your Steak Is Getting Pricier
June 1, 2023

Beef Prices Are High. Here’s Why
June 14, 2023

Beef prices are at record highs — how much pricier will your steak get?
OCT 24 2023
--"Cattle herds in the U.S. have been reduced to their 'smallest number in decades' as a result of prolonged drought in key cattle ranching states like Texas and Kansas, Swanson said."

idk i guess when ranchers 'shrink herds' to their 'smallest number in decades' there must be an abundance of cows. totally not a shortage. lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Walmart had and still has boneless skinless chicken breasts for two bucks a pound

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even through that whole chicken and chicken wing price hike, they kept it low.
I just hate going to Walmart for ANYTHING
I do too. But they do have good grocery prices. That's where I have to take my mom when she needs to shop. She's up in Michigan. About once a month I'm up there.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Snatched from the Internet of things;

Original "Home Alone" shopping list was roughly 19 bucks

last year 48 bucks,

this year 72!!

Groceries up 1/3rd in a year, make of it what you will.

I live VERY rural, my local gas station (25 miles away) is at least 75 cents over what you pay in the big towns.
100% opposite of the Baltimore/DC market E. Here, gas is cheaper the further from the cities, always! Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
i guess I'm living in the right place right now
Those are great prices Len, we're looking at 3.99(if we're lucky) to 4.99 for ground sirloin!

A couple weeks ago, Kerry got 40lbs of Chicken breasts for 40 bucks for our freezer at her local meat market.
She had to cut up the breasts and put them in the sucky machine but a buck a pound? She was so excited that she "got the deal"...LOL

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Snatched from the Internet of things;

Original "Home Alone" shopping list was roughly 19 bucks

last year 48 bucks,

this year 72!!

Groceries up 1/3rd in a year, make of it what you will.

100% opposite of the Baltimore/DC market E. Here, gas is cheaper the further from the cities, always! Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Those are great prices Len, we're looking at 3.99(if we're lucky) to 4.99 for ground sirloin!

A couple weeks ago, Kerry got 40lbs of Chicken breasts for 40 bucks for our freezer at her local meat market.
She had to cut up the breasts and put them in the sucky machine but a buck a pound? She was so excited that she "got the deal"...LOL
This morning I went meat shopping at the 2 grocery stores here in town, to get mostly poultry. I bought 53.2 pounds total. At one the meat averaged $1.16 a pound. And the other it averaged $1.09 without the turkey, with the turkey figured in it drops to $.63 a pound. It was a 20 pound turkey for $7.53. it's thawing in the refrigerator, I'll cook it next weekend and debone and freeze the meat. As long as I can keep the cost within reason I will keep cooking for my dogs. So far so good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This morning I went meat shopping at the 2 grocery stores here in town, to get mostly poultry. I bought 53.2 pounds total. At one the meat averaged $1.16 a pound. And the other it averaged $1.09 without the turkey, with the turkey figured in it drops to $.63 a pound. It was a 20 pound turkey for $7.53. it's thawing in the refrigerator, I'll cook it next weekend and debone and freeze the meat. As long as I can keep the cost within reason I will keep cooking for my dogs. So far so good.
Man. That sounds like a fantastic system.